Starter relay question

-
How do you know that is the correct solenoid? It might have been changed and the wrong one used. It is entirely possible the sol on the car is correct for a vehicle with a standard shift. It is not correct for a Canadian build with an automatic.

Didn't say it was, is, or can't. Jus' sayin that's what it IS.

Now I COULD have suggested earlier that the OP "go get the correct one" but I didn't and there are reasons. They are, in part, because of the "dumbed down" application listings for so called auto parts stores, that just finding the correct one may be a "job," and the usual uneducated parts store teen ager hasn't got either the knowledge, nor the pictorial catalogs and "if they do" the catalog doesn't tell you any details.

Been here, done this.

The type of sol shown in post #18, plus the Ferd sol, can be replaced with a 60 amp compact relay, only slightly larger than the common 30 amp Bosch relay; cheaper too. Mount on f/wall or inner fender.

I’m not seeing two small terminals, am I missing something?
That's a manual-transmission starter solenoid perched on your starter; its coil is case-grounded.

Pick up a NAPA Echlin № ST77 or a Standard Ignition № SS-577, which will drop right on (even has the correct curved mount bracket to perch on the starter) and has the two coil terminals as described above.

Sorry,
My comment in post #28 is incorrect. I though about it afterwards & realised it was wrong. That starter requires a specific type of sol, as shown.

That's a manual-transmission starter solenoid perched on your starter; its coil is case-grounded.

Pick up a NAPA Echlin № ST77 or a Standard Ignition № SS-577, which will drop right on (even has the correct curved mount bracket to perch on the starter) and has the two coil terminals as described above.
I’ve called a bunch of places and I’m being told this part is no longer available.

...............And NOWHERE are the meaningful electrical specifications readily available anymore.

Isn’t this just a ford starter switch with a different bracket & spade lugs instead of screw terminals?
No not necessarily and that is my *****........modern internet driven parts do NOT show proper specs

There are several ways solenoids can be wired, examples:

1...Ford solenoid coils are grounded, the power terminal to activate the solenoid is "S". The "I" terminal is a separate contact, used for the coil resistor bypass,.........."grounded base"

2..Some starter solenoids, and most all "continuous duty" solenoids, the coil is brought out to the two small terminals, "insulated base"

I BELIEVE NO2, ABOVE, IS HOW THAT THE SOLENOID IN DISCUSSION IS WIRED so that it works with the neutral switch

3..There exist some "Ford look" solenoids, which are wired like Ford, AKA with the Ford style "I" bypass, but the coil is not grounded. The coil is "S" terminal on one end, and the other coil is brought out to a 5th terminal on the other side of the unit. These are used on some AMC/ Jeeps because of the Chrysler Torqueflite neutral switch, and using a Ford starter. "insulated base"

4..Some old Ford, both 6 and 12V used for trucks, tractors, industrial, and older, 6V Ford cars, have the power end of the solenoid internally connected to the large battery terminal, the other end brought out to the single small terminal. These use a one-wire, grounding starter button, unique to Ford I think. This also means the battery MUST be connected to the proper terminal, otherwise the solenoid will not engage. Cause for false returns "it don't work."

"insulated base"

5...More modern Ford cars (late 70's/ 80's?) deleted the "I" terminal as electronic ignition did not use a resistor. "grounded base"

ALL of this used to be detailed in the manufacturer's pictorial list, such as NAPA Echlin or Standard Motor Products.

Last edited:
^^This is why current and former parts guys just HATE when customers come in with "THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!!!"^^

^^This is why current and former parts guys just HATE when customers come in with "THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!!!"^^
Or why customers hate it when they come in and the current or former parts guys say "THEY ARE ALL THE SAME" :rofl:

-
Back