Starter relay

-

THEMESSMAN

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I’m rewiring my 65 Dart and I’m lost as can be on the starter relay and the yellow wire that goes to the starter which contact on the starter relay does it go on to???

Typically they are labeled
Screenshot_20220703-210243.png

Red line = BATery
Magenta line = Starter SOLenoid
Blue line = Ignition (yellow wire)
Green line = Neutral Safety switch

I believe the yellow goes on the ignition terminal.

So we are assuming it is an automatic? It was never mentioned, and there were stick shift cars in 1969.

I have seen those but don't they have a NSS in the positive lead.

Either would still have a NSS.
I have a 69 4 speed Barracuda. It has a starter relay that does not have a plug for a NSS. I just looked and 66-69 Mopar starter relays come in different part numbers for automatic or manual. Were 65s different? Because I will guarantee you my starter relay does not have a place to connect a NSS. My car started life as an automatic. About 15 years ago I converted it to a 4 speed. To get it to start, I ran a wire from the NSS plug on the relay to a ground. I eventually took care of that properly.

AND NOW THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER

1...Purists, AKA "restorers" will find that there is a "correct" way to install the NSS and the yellow "start" wire. Newer cars have the connectors physically indexed so they overlap the body of the relay and only go on one way
2...ELECTRICALLY IT DOES NOT MATTER. You can reverse the start and NSS wire and the vehicle will still operate just fine.

3...Pre 70 "stick" car relays have the grounding "NSS" terminal soldered over to the case, as a stick car "had no" safety switch

4...70/ later "stick" cars use the same relay as automatic cars. The NSS wire instead goes through a dedicated grommet through the firewall and connects to the clutch pedal safety switch.....which grounds the wire when depressed.

Below, stick shift relay up through 69. 70/ later stick shift was same as auto, and used clutch safety switch.

relaymanual.jpg

-
Back