mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I turn my key ...nothing

I jump it at solenoid it cranks

I have power to the ignition lead while turning key to starting position

Tried 3 Solenoids...

Whats up ?

Neutral safety isn't working, if you have a manual transmission you need to ground it, automatic, check your switch (transmission).

Alan

Might sound stupid... Turn your turn signal on. I don't know why, but my car will not crank unless I have a blinker on...

Might sound stupid... Turn your turn signal on. I don't know why, but my car will not crank unless I have a blinker on...
:rofl:
Better yet hook your left blinker to your starter solenoid, just make sure you've got good tune so she starts quick and don't turn left anymore. You will not need a key and have a secret anti theft system.

Sorry I couldn't help it, that post made me laugh, I cant get enough of Mopars!

Don't think I know of anyone who even if they have the key would think to turn a blinker on... Got mad and went to hit the steering wheel, hit turn signal switch, and it cranked... I won't lie, been like that for a few years, and I haven't looked into why... But is a good anti theft device

Are you talking about jumping the solenoid near the battery or the one on the starter?

Theirs connector on the solenoid needs to be grounded for the solenoid to work, typically it hooks to your neutral safety switch.

There is a backup switch on a 833 4sp but I dont think that it has a nuetral switch.
They are on the clutch pedal on later years.

A actually I do have a clutch switch because I installed one for my Launch Control rev limiter... but it is not for the relay.

Should I have the unused spade on the relay grounded ? The one the clutch switch would be hooked to ??

Yep Im guessing that you should, but be careful she'll start in gear with that grounded.

Neutral safety isn't working, if you have a manual transmission you need to ground it, automatic, check your switch (transmission).

Alan

Theirs connector on the solenoid needs to be grounded for the solenoid to work, typically it hooks to your neutral safety switch.

With a manual transmission you need a different starter relay or ground the unused terminal.

Alan

This is what you should have or just ground out that terminal with a short wire to the mounting screw.
s-l300.jpg

Alan

The fact that it cranks when you jump the starter relay connection to the battery lug on the relay tells me that there is a good ground at the relay coil. I would bet you either have and issue with the ignition switch, the ignition switch connector or the bulkhead connector on the firewall.

Last edited:
The fact that it cranks when you jump the solenoid connection to the battery lug on the relay tells me that there is a good ground at the solenoid coil. I would bet you either have and issue with the ignition switch, the ignition switch connector or the bulkhead connector on the firewall.
Don't confuse the issue, he has the wrong relay installed.

Alan

check to see if there is voltage at the center terminal of the starter relay when you are turning the key. If not trace it back, make sure the bulkhead connectors are seated and there are no loose wires.

so there is a 4 speed specific relay ? I've always understood them to be the same except 4sp used the 2nd spade IF they were equipped with clutch safety switch circuit.

Whereas that may be true these cars didn't originally have clutch switches.

Alan

ok... I get it now... 4sp relays had the unused spade grounded to the case. My FSM wasnt exactly clear on that .
I had to look up a. old post by Dell.

fixed... I both over and under thought this one ...lol

That thing needing a ground, would be a good place to wire in a push button to ground it to start type hidden anti theft switch.

-
Back