Starter Torque rating

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The direct drive starter on my stock 77 440 died today. I have a new NAPA 2444619 in my stash that I believe was bought for a 80s something /6. Will it have enough torque. I have no use for a mini and I have this one. Craig

Most Mopar starters are gear reduction. The Hemi had a direct drive starter. It may do the job. Only 1 way to find out. Kim

The thing is as old as these girls are, the spare you have may not be original to the engine. So hard to say. "It used to be" that if the starter solenoid had the small screw ears it was high torque. See if I can round up a photo

I would not screw with any of 'em. Get a modern PM starter and be done

I went from a standard gear reduction to an OEM Denso RAM mini style and the 451 kicked over about 2X as fast as the old starter. The only direct drive starters I remember were pre 65 and a few year specific to a hemi and I think it was because the exhaust manifolds, or 4 speed. Try it, I know I'll never be in the market for another old style 35 lb gear reduction starter.

Last edited:
Most Mopar starters are gear reduction. The Hemi had a direct drive starter. It may do the job. Only 1 way to find out. Kim

Correction. Yes gear reduction. I was thinking of my 64. It does have direct drive. I’m going to try this one today just to get it going again.

-
Back