starter wont disengage

-

EmersonC

Reaction score
Ok, so im writing this as I wait for the tow truck so please disregard any typos. I searched this amazing forum and found four threads listed the same but my issue is a little different.

Everything was fine, I stop at the gas station fill up and start the car and hear the starter still going. So i try to turn the car off, the engine dies but the starter is still cranking the engine. I click the ignition to the run position and shebsatrts up but the starter is still going. At this point I think oh sh## and jump out and pull the power from the battery. I let it sit a try to connect the battery and the moment the power is hooked up the starter goes.

I'm thinking a wire at the ingnition switch is crossed or grounded. Because it is acting ad if the key is twisted all the way to the right all the time. What are ya'all thinking.

Plus i just replaced the heads 10 miles ago, yes 10 miles. So my initial thought was a wire around the starter.

She is a sexy 66 dart with a 273. Mds box, Mallory dist, and i bypassd the amp meter about a year ago.

My car and i have a love hate kind of relationship. I fix one thing and another breaks but usually i get a few hundred miles before something goes wrong. This time i only got a half days drove out of her. :/

This is why you guys need to learn a little about your cars.

Very first thing to do is access the starter relay under the hood

9cd7_35.JPG

1....Pull both "push on" connectors off the relay, see if it still cranks. If so..........

2....disconnect the wire from the "square" looking screw. See if it still cranks

3....If so, try to round up a meter or test lamp. See if the disconnected wire at the square screw.....the end leading to the starter..... is hot with the battery hooked up and cranking.

If so, you likely have 'burned' the main battery cable and that wire together. If that is not the case, the trouble is right in the starter solenoid (on the starter)

-
Back