Starting a BB Duster project

-
I still eat my heart out at the lighting you have in the shop Andy.

When I had the shop built I told the electrician I wanted lighting like an operating room so I could find little nuts and bolts that fall on the floor. My last shop had really poor lights and I was always wasting time looking for stuff. The electrician put in twice the normal number of fixtures in the center bay and it has been great. If I was building a new shop I'd use LED lights but this shop was built 15 years ago so we used what we had.
DSC_7470 (Large).JPG

When I had the shop built I told the electrician I wanted lighting like an operating room so I could find little nuts and bolts that fall on the floor. My last shop had really poor lights and I was always wasting time looking for stuff. The electrician put in twice the normal number of fixtures in the center bay and it has been great. If I was building a new shop I'd use LED lights but this shop was built 15 years ago so we used what we had.View attachment 1715119879
I`d settle for a shop like that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the front suspension out of the car I'm using the body wheels from US Car Tools to hold the car up.
DSC_1752 (Large).JPG

I added a couple of crossmembers under the trunk area to support the fuel cell and related items. The trans cooler assembly bolts to the bottom of the trunk floor.

DSC_1766 (Large).JPG

DSC_1770 (Large).JPG

I'm doing a test fit with the DoctorDiff 13 inch brake kit up front. Looks good so far, now I just need to take a look at possible wheels for this combo.
DSC_1943 (Large).JPG

I wasn't having any success get the shocks to mount correctly to the shock plates that were on the car so I decided to build my own. I changed the design to use a thru bolt rather than stud since I think it is stronger and easier to work with.

View attachment 1715100810

View attachment 1715100811
Andy I really need a pair of these shock mounts. The car I have has a Caltrac suspension and it was mounted to far up into the body. The springs being moved up now makes the shock mounts to short. The shocks only have about 1 or maybe 2 inches of travel before the are fully collapsed. Your mount seems to move the lower shock mount down giving the shock more travel. If I need to weld the through the bolt mount myself that is fine. Please PM me.

Got the new fuel cell fuel pump from Holley today. Really slick setup. It drops into the fuel cell so you don't need all of the external plumbing. This one is about 80 gph at 60 psi which is enough fuel for 900 hp so I should be fine. I'm only making around 650 hp.

DSC_2063 (Large).JPG

DSC_2070 (Large).JPG

Nice instilation.. Ok, on that pump, is the knob now the filler opening? Is the large AN fitting the "flow-out"? Is the small fitting the return (by-pass) line? Or is the small fitting another line out? Does this unit have a built in by-pass? Nice trans cooler too. I mounted mine under the rear driver side passenger foot well.

Yes you got it. The knob is the filler neck, #10 is out and #8 is return. Use a bypass type regulator and you are all set.

I put a bushing in the tailshaft and then slid a 10 ft length of tubing thru the main bores and the transmission so I can see just how the engine aligns with the car and the rear end. It looks like with a little bit of adjustment I can get everything nice and square and all in alignment.
DSC_2105 (Large).JPG

I decided to mount the coils on the valve covers. Had to machine up some mounting brackets and now I need to order up some custom wires from Firecore.

DSC_2099 (Large).JPG

Finally got my new shock plates welded up. I was having trouble with my welder for a bit but figured it out. These shock plates take a little bit of work to make. Took me some time to figure out all of the bends and the welds.
DSC_2135 (Large).JPG
DSC_2136 (Large).JPG

Been working on cleaning up the bottom of the car. Got it power washed and now I'm removing some of the old undercoating. I'm not trying to make it a show car, I just don't like having dirt fall in my eyes when I'm working under the car.
DSC_2222 (Large).JPG

Andy, I notice that the subframe connectors in this car don't penetrate the floor pan and aren't welded to them. What is your opinion on this type of installation

dsc_2105-large-jpg.jpg

The car would be stronger with 2 x 3 inch subframe connectors but since it has a roll bar it probably doesn't matter. I'm not going to cut the connectors out and redo them so it will have to work. If I was building the car from scratch I'd use 2 x 3 inch tubing to build the connectors.

The car would be stronger with 2 x 3 inch subframe connectors but since it has a roll bar it probably doesn't matter. I'm not going to cut the connectors out and redo them so it will have to work. If I was building the car from scratch I'd use 2 x 3 inch tubing to build the connectors.
I used 2" square tubing, the same configuration as the front of urs, bolted first , then welded. The back of mine are actually slid inside the rear frame and welded up , it put the 2" tubing in the floor about 3/4", so they had to be welded all the way/ took 3/4" foil faced foam board ins. to fill and even out the the void before new carpeting, can`t tell anything is even there. keep it coming, we like ur work and posts !

Paint code is B1 - Blue Sky. It is a nice color, if I ever paint the car I'll paint it the original color. The car came with a black vinyl roof which probably looked pretty nice. I like the light blue color for the bottom of the car. It is easy to see things when you are under there. Someone painted the engine compartment black which I hate. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to repaint it now or wait until later to paint it.

Paint code is B1 - Blue Sky. It is a nice color, if I ever paint the car I'll paint it the original color. The car came with a black vinyl roof which probably looked pretty nice. I like the light blue color for the bottom of the car. It is easy to see things when you are under there. Someone painted the engine compartment black which I hate. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to repaint it now or wait until later to paint it.

Nice! And the paint that's on it now? Is it meant to be matte?

Nice! And the paint that's on it now? Is it meant to be matte?

It just has primer on it now. Not sure I'll paint the car, haven't decided. I had all of the body work done so the car is nice and straight and the panels are all lined up. The body shop hit it with primer and called it good. In retrospect I should've had them go ahead and paint it B1 when they had it in the booth.

-
Back