Starting issues

-

Bud27

Reaction score
Bought daughter 65 barracuda and just fixed the electrical issues with some very knowledgeable folks . The car runs great when it starts good idle decent acceleration.
Being an older car it sometimes cranks for a while before it starts . I don't want her to have to call me to jump start her every other day . How do trouble shoot this. The engine is 273 two barrel completely stock 150,000 mile exhaust pipe is black so I guess it's running rich .fuel pump works carb was rebuilt a year ago but the car sat most of the time wasn't driven much . New regulator and alternator .

Thanks in advance

Where is the base timing at? That often plays a big role in initial start up from my experience. Hope this helps. Eric L

If you don't know the history of the car,, a good old fashioned tune-up would be the place I'd start my process of elimination...

Plugs, points, condenser, cap, rotor, pcv, fuel and air filters, breather, plug wires..

A compression test and reading the plugs may tell you a lot of what you need to know..

Set timing, adjust carb,, then evaluate...

And check to make sure the choke pull-off vacuum pod is working, and not ruptured....

cheers

-
Back