Starting Swap

-

Furyus67

Reaction score
I picked up a '99 5.2 with 154,000 miles. I heard the motor running before it was pulled. Sounded good. Still would like to do a rebuild. Does anyone have a bottom end kit they recommend for bearings and rings etc.?

This will be going in a 1967 Plymouth Fury III. I've been lurking over here as there are more magnum swap posts than on forcbodiesonly. Looking forward to the process!

The plan is to swap the intake, new small cam, and new seals and bearings. Going with the V-belt setup.

595546532.jpg
595546516.jpg

I picked up a 2001 5.9 recently with a supposedly 60,000 miles. I tore it down to the crank and Pistons and took it to a machine shop for the bottom end. A little over $600 for:

New rings
New main, rod, and cam bearings
New rear main seal.
Hone bores
Polish the crank
Chemical clean the block
New freeze plugs
Assemble

I started to put it together this week. Project creep got me... Edelbrock heads, air gap intake, double roller, etc, etc.

IMG_20190915_171121.jpg

IMG_20191101_103354.jpg

IMG_20191117_174902.jpg

I picked up a 2001 5.9 recently with a supposedly 60,000 miles. I tore it down to the crank and Pistons and took it to a machine shop for the bottom end. A little over $600 for:

New rings
New rear main seal.
Hone bores
Polish the crank
Chemical clean the block
New freeze plugs
Assemble

I started to put it together this week. Project creep got me... Edelbrock heads, air gap intake, double roller, etc, etc.

Who did you go with for your rings, bearings, seals, and freeze plugs?

The machine shop in Rome, Georgia did the work. He used clevite bearings and sealed power rings. Not sure on the freeze plugs but I can check the receipt.

New rings
New rear main seal.
Hone bores
Polish the crank
Chemical clean the block
New freeze plugs
Assemble

View attachment 1715425580
View attachment 1715425581

View attachment 1715425582

New rings
New rear main seal.
Hone bores
Polish the crank
Chemical clean the block
New freeze plugs
Assemble

View attachment 1715425580
View attachment 1715425581

View attachment 1715425582
That going into your '66 fish?
What cam did you go with?

That going into your '66 fish?
What cam did you go with?

Yes, going in my 66.

I sent my cam to Ken at Oregon Cam Grinding for his 1280 grind (recommended by RRR). 216/224 @.50 and 517/538 @1.6.

Talking to PTC about a 9.5" converter, but waiting to buy until I verify spline count of my A904. Already running a 8.75 with 3:55's.

This is my first V8 build. Just looking for a fun street car!!

has anyone had experience with the cam snout kit? I could have Oregon Cam Grinding regrind my cam for $135 and then use the cam snout kit. Or I could have him grind a new cam the correct length and not have to use the cam snout kit but that new cam is 335.

I've heard only negative things about the cam snout kit.

You can run an aftermarket electric fuel pump and use your cam. That's how I'm going to do it.

I'm going to run V-belts so I sourced a 71 small block timing cover with timing marks on the driver's side and a block off plate for the mechanical fuel pump.

I've heard only negative things about the cam snout kit.

You can run an aftermarket electric fuel pump and use your cam. That's how I'm going to do it.

I'm going to run V-belts so I sourced a 71 small block timing cover with timing marks on the driver's side and a block off plate for the mechanical fuel pump.
The wiring of the electric fuel pump is what scares me. I have no experience of where to mount, wire, and run everything. I was trying to keep it simple. But if that is the best route, is there a thread you can point me to or an explanation

-
Back