SteeleRubber Gaskets & Windshields

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
I'm planning to replace the front windshield glass in my '71 Dart GT (45+ years of road rage has taken its toll). My mechanic/buddy said I might as well replace the back glass gasket at the same time. While perusing SteeleRubber's website I found 1 gasket for the front windshield and 2 gaskets for the rear glass. Apparently vinyl top cars use a different rear gasket than non-vinyl top cars. Who'd of thought? Is there a big difference between the 2? So why isn't there 2 gaskets for the front windshield? Eventually I'd like to remove the vinyl top, but that may be several years away. Would I need to replace the rear gasket again once the vinyl top is removed?

With all that said, who/where has the best replacement windshield? I don't care if its tinted or clear.

If I remember the difference in the rear glass had to do with the car having 2 or 4 doors.This may be a myth. I'm sure someone knows correctly.

I don't know why a vinyl top would make a difference in the gasket.
Whenever you do delete or replace the vinyl top the rear glass gasket would need cleaning for reuse or replace. I prefer to clean and reuse OEM gaskets even though removal with out damaging and the cleaning is time consuming.
To pull the rear glass and gasket could very well become vinyl top remove and rust repair. I suggest.. Fall back into the trunk with a flashlight and look for evidence of water leak and rust under the Dutchman panel.
Every job I do snowballs. If I pull the windshield, I'm going to pull the dash too and reseal the vent boxes and wiper pivots, and everything else I can do at the same time. I also did rear glass/gasket R&R, and headliner renew on my 67. I'm glad it wasn't a vinyl top car. No rust repairs needed. Good luck with yours.

If it isn't broken don't fix it.
That is my thought on the back glass question.
I hate vinyl top.
If you are going to remove it do it now.
Will then have a better answer to their above question of the need for back glass work.

-
Back