Steering box removal 66 barracuda

-

GSXcite

Reaction score
I need to drive out the roll pin from the coupler. Anyone know what size punch I need to use and can it be driven out from either way. I have soaked it with blaster, but it doesn't budge. Thanks for your help.

I thought up to 66 was a bolt holding the coupler to the steering shaft, but hey I a master at being wrong..
On the later A's a 1/4 punch is what I use to remove the coupler.

1/4" punch is what I used on my 66 Dart. I've also used properly sized sockets with long extensions, 1/4" drive extensions, screwdrivers, etc.

1/4" punch is what I used on my 66 Dart. I've also used properly sized sockets with long extensions, 1/4" drive extensions, screwdrivers, etc.
Thank you. Do you know if it can be driven out either way? One side is countersunk and the pin is in a ways. The other side, the pin sticks out a little.

That roll pin can come out either way. When I removed the roll pin from my 66 I used a long punch and just hit all around the out side edge of the pin. Use some force that pin has been in there for a long time but it will come out.

That roll pin can come out either way. When I removed the roll pin from my 66 I used a long punch and just hit all around the out side edge of the pin. Use some force that pin has been in there for a long time but it will come out.
Thank you. It's kicking my butt. Not much room in there.

Got it! I taped a 3/8 extension on my punch where I had more room, got my big Ford wrench and beat the crap out of it. I was able to drive it out opposite of the countersunk side. Thanks for the help, you guys are awesome.

Got it! I taped a 3/8 extension on my punch where I had more room, got my big Ford wrench and beat the crap out of it. I was able to drive it out opposite of the countersunk side. Thanks for the help, you guys are awesome.
I had the same problem lol. I struggled with it then my dad actually had a tool for it. Might be something to look into getting.

I had the same problem lol. I struggled with it then my dad actually had a tool for it. Might be something to look into getting.
With the tight space, getting the pin back in when I reinstall the rebuilt steering box may be a challenge.

-
Back