Steering Column Popping...

-

70DusterBob

Reaction score
I just got my car running again and now the steering column is popping sort of. It did sit for 6 months before that, but now the steering column is like popping. That is the best word I can use describe the noise, but when you turn the steering wheel either direction quickly, it kind of pops. It is a standard steering column with three in the tree, but now it is in an automatic, so all that is disconnected.

I don't know if it is safe to drive, but I have to drive it Monday, kinda critical that I make a 140 mile drive mostly highway.

Last edited:
I just got my car running again and now the steering column is popping sort of. It did sit for 6 months before that, but now the steering column is like popping. That is the best word I can use describe the noise, but when you turn the steering wheel either direction quickly, it kind of pops. It is a standard steering column with three in the tree, but now it is in an automatic, so all that is disconnected.

I don't know if it is safe to drive, but I have to drive it Monday, kinda critical that I make a 140 mile drive mostly highway.

Forgot to mention the steering column is out of a 72 Dart Swinger, and it was designed for power steering. Now that I have thought about it some, I had the power steering pump belt disconnected and turned the wheel to move the car around a parking lot, nothing like a long time at all, and then once I hooked it back up this noise started.

I looked under the dash but there is nothing to see but a tube. It doesn't sound like its coming from the u-joints in front of the firewall, it's in the column, sounds like between the wheel and the fire wall, but I don't know if that's possible.

I’f the coupler gets moisture in it , and rust the shoes they will pop.

I’f the coupler gets moisture in it , and rust the shoes they will pop.

I went out with a flashlight to check the coupler. The cap that is clamped onto the end by tabs has come off, looks like the grease has come out too. I think you are 100% correct there. I will re pack it with grease and try again in the am. Boy I hope this fixes it!!! We did have a few days of moister here, and 20's for lows. I don't know if the lower temps had anything to do with it, but the loose cap and missing grease would certainly do it.

Thank you much!

Get one of the spring clamps to put it back together the oem caps are a pia to get back on Bob.

s-l1600.jpg

Ebay. Search steering coupler retaining clip Mopar

Well, I greased it up pretty well, but now after driving some more, it sounds like it is in the column between the steering wheel and the dash. Are there bearings in there? Seems like there would be but I have never taken a wheel off before to know. It sounds just like dried up bearings that have come out of the race, or whatever is holding them in place.

There is a upper column bearing. Tiny ball bearing. I've seen them fall apart.

If i recall there are bearings. Maybe the lock plate is rubbing.
Did you try pulling up on wheel or pushing it down to see if it changes?
Columns are a lot of fun to take apart/assemble.

If i recall there are bearings. Maybe the lock plate is rubbing.
Did you try pulling up on wheel or pushing it down to see if it changes?
Columns are a lot of fun to take apart/assemble.

Does anyone know where I can get a power steering column, with or without steering wheel, used or rebuilt?

Does anyone know where I can get a power steering column, with or without steering wheel, used or rebuilt?

Checked for sale here in the forum, found a couple, waiting to hear back, open to other sellers too.

Did you ever solve this issue? Mine does the same thing and feels like it catches on something for a split second before it pops, does it every once in a while but is startling when it does

Yes, there was two sets of beatings in my column. I had replaced the top but didn't know there was a lower as well. I got a modern day coupler bearing for it, now it is smooth again. I can try to find that bearing for you. I got it on Ebay so I'm sure it is in my previous purchases. I could not find the right oem one anywhere. If you want me to find it for you I will.

If you could that would be great. I've got to pull mine in the next few weeks anyway so it will be a good time to fix that

Thanks I plan to do an epas swap while it's out too, hopefully it will steer like a new one when I get it together again

-
Back