Steering column wiring

Early A-Body Discussions

1. armyofchuckness

armyofchuckness The Flying Valiant

Local Time:
    3:23 PM
    welp, I was trying to disassemble my steering column in my 64 Valiant automatic because I'm switching to a power steering shaft instead of a manual and I wanted to paint it while I was at it. Long story short, I broke the clip for the electrical on the lower end of the column trying to back the wires out of the bracket. Anyone have a replacement one lying around? I'll be happy to pay and/or trade out an early A manual shaft for it.

Also, does anyone know the right way to get the wiring harness in and out of the column without destroying it?

Thanks!

2. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    12:23 PM
    You talking about the TS switch I assume? Not familiar with that connector but most of those you can release the terminals, pull them out of the connector, and snake it out. Tie one of 'em to a fish wire

3. armyofchuckness

armyofchuckness The Flying Valiant

Local Time:
    There was a bank of seven wires coming out near the base of the column in a little brick shaped connector clip. I tried backing them out but they metal on the first one snapped immediately.

4. 65 Dartman

65 Dartman FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    There's a special tool used to remove those connectors - found it on eBay from a guy selling a lot of Mopar-specific removal tools. I'll take a look and see if I have a spare connector although it might still have wires attached.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.