Steering Coupler - Anyone Seen This???

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I was getting ready to install the original steering coupler back in my 66 Dart and noticed the center piece at the bottom was loose and ended up falling out (dime-sized 'plug' next to it). Obviously, this would cause a mess and allow grease to leak out through the splines in the steering box input shaft over time. I was just curious if any of you have seen this before???

I'm half tempted to epoxy the plug back into place and call it good. Do you think this necessitates a new coupler???

upload_2021-4-18_12-17-17.png

upload_2021-4-18_12-17-2.png

Your fix sounds fine, no need for a new one.

epoxy or RTV to seal that plug back in the bottom.

What ever you do be sure it has enough cure time the more the better

I'd pop a spot weld on each side of it, let it cool completely and then put a skim of RTV over it and let that cure completely. Over and DONE and never coming back apart.

I have been cleaning a bunch of couplers lately. One of them is like that (has a plug). The others are fully machined with no chance of coming apart like that. I have one early coupler, but I can't remember if it's for manual or power steering.

I have been cleaning a bunch of couplers lately. One of them is like that (has a plug). The others are fully machined with no chance of coming apart like that. I have one early coupler, but I can't remember if it's for manual or power steering.

Interesting! I've never seen one like this. It's almost like the plug was just pressed in. Good to know it's been seen before, at least. I'm just going to epoxy it back in, seal it up really well, and try to forget about it. I guess as long as it doesn't leak, I'll be good to go.

Or maybe find the correct size flat type freeze plug and pop it in there.

Or just epoxy In the same piece that came out. There is no pressure there, just needs to keep grease in.

Do you guys TRY to make every job as hard as possible?

-
Back