Steering coupler not going on

-

Mikey Yoh

Reaction score
I have read several posts regarding this situation on FABO and, like a few others, I am stuck.
I replaced my power steering box with a rebuilt unit. Upon trying to get the coupler on I ran into a problem with it only going on over the first set of splines on the steering box input shaft.
I read several posts about how to remedy this situation and applied their suggestions: I made sure the master splines were correctly aligned. I took a bore brush and cleaned the inside of the coupler where the splines are and added a little grease. I took a three edged fine file and made sure the splines on the input shaft were cleaned. I removed all of the bolts in the steering column, so it has movement. Continuous tapping on the coupler.
After applying all these tips, the coupler still only goes over the first set of splines. I am assuming all those who have run into this problem were able to get theirs to fit? If so, how?

Well like I did don’t ever tap on the column because of the safety issues it does collapse I had to take mine out and pull it to get it back to size. I hope this helps.

I've had the same problem in the past and every time it was the master spline not lining up where it should. I know you said you are aware of it but maybe it's not lined up?

Cley

Thanks Cley for your response. Yeah, I thought the same thing, so I separated it again (what little I had on there anyway). The splines on the coupler and on the input shaft showed no signs of misalignment. I ended up taking the steering column out completely, and removing the coupler from the steering column. This made it easier to tap the coupler onto the shaft. Typing this makes it sound easier thean it was. I tapped and wiggled the coupler for a straight hour, but it finally went on. Two comments; one from FABO and one from FBBO were to just keep tapping on it, and it will go. Both eluded to the fact that it might take awhile, and it did. Happy ending!

-
Back