Steering does not return to center - power steering

-

Juho

Reaction score
My 1974 Plymouth with power steering has an issue I can not sort out.

It had no return to center plus tendency to self steer to the right. I then centered the spool valve and got the power assist to work properly, but no return to center.

I then dismounted the steering box pitman arm from the steering linkage and when I tried to turn the box from the pitman arm, it was very heavy to one direction and impossible to turn to the other. (Motor shut off).

Then I disconnected the pump lines, and after that it was possible to turn the steering box with reasonable effort to both sides. At this point I road tested the car, and now the steering returns to center.

What could be causing this and how should I fix this?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Is this the original power steering gearbox, that your working with, or a rebuilt one, that's now been installed?

I do not know. I have had the car for some time and this phenomena might always have been there but now it was noted at the DMV roadworthiness inspection

Knowing you are familiar with centering the box, and it is correct with no pull either way wheels in air, then your problem is likely elsewhere.
Excess caster on one wheel comes to mind.
If the alignment is still adjusted to bias style tires, there are better settings, and upper control arm bushings avail. for the new radials, to give better directional stability.

View attachment 1715161304[/QUOTE].

Last edited:
I do not know. I have had the car for some time and this phenomena might always have been there but now it was noted at the DMV roadworthiness inspection

Oh, ok, I see that your over there in Finland.
Didn't look under your aviator picture, when i posted a reply.
Not likely you can easily go over to a local parts store, and get parts for a old American car.

Thank you for your replies so far! I am thinking that the power steering system is somehow hydraulically locking since the steering return is normal when pump lines are disconnected? Thus not an alignment issue?

-
Back