Steering gear box 74 Dart Swinger

-

George Lawicki

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have been trying to get a new or remanufactured steering gear box for my 74 Swinger. I ordered one from Buy Auto Parts .com they sent the wrong one. I called them and AGAIN they sent me the exact same one! The black one is the one they keep sending me the Silver gray one is what I need.... Can anyone shed any light on this or where I can find a PS gear box??? I cant seem to find one and I don't want Cardone

no gearbox.jpg

gearbox.png

Are you certain it won't replace yours? The photos says "new" on the "wrong" one, it is obviously manufactured by someone else. But if the photo is accurate it "fits the profile" for mounting. What exactly is wrong besides "it looks" different?

I would agree with the above...just because it looks different doesn't mean it won't fit.

I have one off a B body (believe they are the same besides pitman arm) if you need to compare to an OE...but I imagine you have a better option than driving an hour for a comparison

What was wrong with the black one?

2 basic variations. Large and small sector. All Mopars 1973 and newer are large sector.
You could send or take your original down to Steer and Gear in Columbus for a rebuild. Steerandgear.com

They most likely have one ready to go and you can just trade in your core.

20210507_120243.jpg

20210507_120442.jpg

I ordered mine from rock auto it was ac Delco reman. I ended up selling it and with manual steering just to simplify the engine bay some. But the acdelco fit fine.

hey guys,

Sorry I was out of town for work . I drive a truck so I can't always reply real quick. Anyways I took a real good look at the steering box and did some trial fit and everything seems to hook up OK. So thanks for all the help!

So the one that "looks wrong" will fit? Great you got it, anyhow!!

yeah the only slight difference is the high pressure hose is located a little further up on the box but nothing that would cause any concern

Steer and gear in Ohio. It will be identical to your old one. They would like to have your core also. They also rebuild Federal power steering pumps.
614-231-4064

You can always upgrade to my Borgeson kit. I'm a site sponsor and have been involved with this site for 15 years. Bergmanautocraft.com

-
Back