Steering Linkage

-

MB43

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the earlier (67-72) steering linkage is different from the later (73-up) linkage? In particular the idler & pitman arms.

I changed the k-frame in my '73 Duster to one from a '71 Dart, and I've got issues with the steering linkage hitting the starter. I've shimmed the motor mounts to raise the motor up, but there's still some interferance. I was wondering if perhaps the older parts are a little longer and would drop the whole linkage down a bit.

Any clues?

The centerlink, idler arm and pitman arm are different. You will need to change all three items to get it to work (plus a toe adjustment). Which linkage do you currently have in you car? It seems odd that you would have any interference with the starter. Maybe you have a bent pitman arm or something. You may gain a little clearance with the earlier set-up as the ball end of the ptiman and idler arm is on the bottom and the nut is on the top (grease zerk pointing down).

340duster said:
The centerlink, idler arm and pitman arm are different. You will need to change all three items to get it to work (plus a toe adjustment). Which linkage do you currently have in you car? It seems odd that you would have any interference with the starter. Maybe you have a bent pitman arm or something. You may gain a little clearance with the earlier set-up as the ball end of the ptiman and idler arm is on the bottom and the nut is on the top (grease zerk pointing down).

I'm assuming that what I have on the car is stock 1973 parts.

However, the k-frame in the car is from a '71 Dart. When I swapped that k-frame in, I had a 318 with a stock starter and had no clearance issues. The problems started when I put in a 360 with a Mopar mini starter.

I have two a-bodies with 73 and up linkage and mini starters and no clearance issues. Do you have the wrong centerlink for the pitman and idler arms?

mikelbeck said:
...The problems started when I put in a 360 with a Mopar mini starter.
Did you change the driver's side motor mount? I think a 318 driver's side mount is different than a 340 or 360 driver's side mount...

Yes the driver side is different for the 340/360. Also how did you shim up the engine mounts? I have a 74 Dart Sport with stock starter and Power steering and there is plenty of clearance down there. I think they gave you the wrong parts. Also it was like 3 years ago when I swapped a v8 K into mycar so my memory may be a little fuzzy. I seem to remember someone warning me that on some cars the center link from v8 car is needed or something like that. I got lucky and the center link that was in the car with the slant worked with the 360 as well.

The original k frame was damaged, and the only replacement I could find (at a decent price) was from a '71 Dart. When I put it in, I had a 318 in the car, so I had the right brackets for the 318 and used Moroso solid mounts. When I put the 360 in I had to change one of the motor mount brackets (driver's side, I think).

Also - I changed the front brakes. The front hubs were re-drilled for the 4.5" bolt pattern - but were done wrong. One of the hubs cracked. I found a complete front brake system from a '71 Demon, that had been re-drilled (correctly) for the bigger bolt pattery. So I swapped that onto the car, but that involved replacing the upper control arms and the lower ball joint.

That's it, as far as changes to the front suspension goes.

When I found the linkage was hitting the starter, I jacked up the motor and put a couple of big washers on the motor mount bolt that goes into the k frame.

As far as I know, all of the steering linkage is original - from the 73 car. But I've found that most things are this car were wrong, so it's very possible it was put together from other parts.

The top of the arm on the driver's side (the pitman arm?) hits the starter when the wheel is turned from side to side.

-
Back