steering shaft coupler clamp

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, I was rebuilding the steering coupler in one of my 1970 Darts and was able obtain a big wire clamp that goes over the coupler and holds the cap on. It came with a Chrysler service bulletin that gave detailed instructions on rebuilding the joint and installing the clamp, which had ends that fit inside the roll pin.

I still have the info on where I got it - Mike Randall, through a site called www.mopar4sale.com I went to the site but can't find the part anymore. Does anybody know where I might be able to get these???

..don't think they are avail. anymore.
you can make one out of a coat hanger but welding rod would probably be better

Wow, I can honestly say, I've never seen that before. But, I haven't seen everything. I'll check in the A.M.

Try firm feel? I remember someone used to sell them but can't remember who

Thanks 70aarcuda - if I can't find the old style clamp, this looks like the next best thing!!!

Two things about the Steer and Gear boot
1) You have to disassemble the bottom of the steering column. Remove the coupler and hardware then drive the pin out. Then you can put the boot on. Then reassemble everything. I put one on my Charger and that's how it has to go on.
2) I hear it does not hold up well in an A Body with headers because of how close it is to the header tube. I personally can't verify this but I read that in another post here.

Would anyone have a diagram of how these parts go in? I have the coupling and the rebuild kit, but I have nothing on the end of the steering column end. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread. I'm at a stick point until I can figure out how the pieces go in:)

I have one of the new style boots, and its better but still wants to work its way up the shaft.

I have headers, so I think I will try the junk yards and look at some of the old trucks and see if I can get one that way or something I can use for a pattern.

I know this is an old thread but this is such a hard to get part and really works well.The Mopar steering coupler retaining clamp everyone is looking for can be found on ebay using search "mopar steering coupler" I have an original on my car and it works very well. Holds cover and seal on coupling tight without moving even without seal cover tabs crimped on. Mine was separated,I put this on and it pulled really tight right where it belonged.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Mopar-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item462dce1f89&vxp=mtr

Two things about the Steer and Gear boot
1) You have to disassemble the bottom of the steering column. Remove the coupler and hardware then drive the pin out. Then you can put the boot on. Then reassemble everything. I put one on my Charger and that's how it has to go on.
2) I hear it does not hold up well in an A Body with headers because of how close it is to the header tube. I personally can't verify this but I read that in another post here.

Since the coupling itself doesn't clear some headers, I imagine the external wire retainer might hit headers also.

I know this is an old thread but this is such a hard to get part and really works well.The Mopar steering coupler retaining clamp everyone is looking for can be found on ebay using search "mopar steering coupler" I have an original on my car and it works very well. Holds cover and seal on coupling tight without moving even without seal cover tabs crimped on. Mine was separated,I put this on and it pulled really tight right where it belonged.

Rare Mopar 2996935 Steering Coupler Retaining Clamp - most Dodge Plymouth | eBay
Can the spring clamp be added with the system assembled or does one have to pull the shaft ?

It can be assembled. The end that goes into the roll pin is open and you can get it around the shaft and slide it into place.

Can the spring retainer be installed with the steering column assembled, or does it have to be taken apart?

-
Back