steering shaft pin

-

68brcuda

Reaction score
68 barracuda, installed 318 engine, trans, headers up from bottom. When steering column came in contact with steering box, it didn't line up as I was doing this myself, forgot to view when lowering body to k frame. Removed steering column into drivers area and out of vehicle. New coupler kit coming in a few days, while viewing this, I noticed this black plastic pin sitting in silver area of column, looks like it was snapped off there. Any help as to what it is for, do I need to buy a rebuild kit for the column, if so, what should be ordered. I have viewed a 35 minute video, "h
shaftcoupler1.jpg
shaftcoupler.jpg
shaftpin.jpg
ow to rebuild a mopar a body steering column" but nothing mentioned, TIA..

Yep unabtainyum.

Last I saw it was still available in 2018 NOS for 80 to 120 bucks.

I'm in the process of reverse engineering it, but the cost to injection mold it is so far cost prohibitive.

You have a few alternatives..

1. Disassemble the column and weld a nut to the shift shaft so it does not interfere with shifting, reassembly and steering, then screw in a short post.
  2. Change the rooster tail in the transmission to the correct one and use a 3 pin NSS / backup light switch
  3. Fabricate something unknown
  4. I seem to recall that I saw a metal one that clips in made in Australia???
OEM part number 2883211

PN 2883211 reverse lamp switch trip pin for 1967-68 Plymouth Barracuda - Belvedere - Fury - GTX - RoadRunner - Satellite - Valiant; 1967-68 Dodge - Charger - Coronet - Dart - Monaco - Polara; 1967-68 Chrysler and 1967-68 Imperial with column shift

You could look in wrecking yards but removing the pin without braking it is almost as hard as finding one.

BUT IT CAN BE DONE!

Backup / Reverse Lamp Switch Actuator Clip Lever : Suit 1967 1968 1969 1970 A - B and C Body Chrysler Dodge Plymouth : Automotive Transmission and Column Shift

This is the Australian one I was referring to.

My guess is it has to be insalled from inside the shift column before the steering shaft is inserted.

Last edited:
There is a guy that is almost done with making them on 3D printing think he is on FCBO. His prototype is top knotch, he is now just searching for a material that will hold up

I'm in the same boat.

I have the CAD just need the materials.

I did print one that locked in place and MIGHT hold up but no testing with it because I don't think it will hold up long term.

BTW my 67 dart has a white material for my stock pin. The OEM pin on the right is a later OEM replacement. But I have seen both now.

PXL_20220919_142654285.jpg

If @68brcuda wants to be a ginni pig I'll send you one.

BTW

Your photo looks wrong.
That hole looks more like the steering shaft????
Screenshot_20220919-083658.png

This is the shifter shaft
PXL_20220919_144036290.jpg

The hole the post goes into.
PXL_20220919_143754424.jpg

Post installed
Note you can not reassemble the steering column with the pin / post installed

PXL_20220919_143818156.jpg

do I need to buy a rebuild kit for the column
The engine compartment end of your steering column looks odd as well. BUT it might be a 67 vs 68 thing.

67 manual steering.

I know your cuppler is apart in your photos.
PXL_20220919_150827390.jpg

What say others?

Last edited:
Looks like the pin isn't broken off. I think I'd clean everything up real good and epoxy that puppy in place.

-
Back