Steering Shaft Removal/Replacement

-

cpreal

66 Slant Fish
Reaction score
I'm going from manual steering to Borgeson power steering on my '66 Barracuda. Slant 6, column-shifted auto. I have a replacement steering shaft from a power steering column. Do I have to remove the entire column to replace the shaft or can this be done with the column in place? I'd prefer to not have to disassemble the entire column first.

IMHO.

3 bolts under the dash.

3 bolts on the floor

Slip joint roll pin

And 1 connector

Then you can see what you are doing and clean / fix what is in need

Like 4 (or 8) nuts and the front seat/s comes out and you have all the room to work under the dash

I wouldn't think that you will have to replace the steering shaft, because the Borgeson box is as small as a factory manual box. A factory Mopar PS box is a mile long and weighs a ton. You should use the Borgeson U joint coupler with the new box.

Has anyone on here installed the Borgeson on a 66 A Body with manual steering? I’d love to hear about your experience. Did you have to cut the shaft?

Is there a length difference between the Borgeson box and a factory manual steering box? Is it splined to fit a factory Mopar steering coupler? If so, which one - manual, or power (there are two different coupler shaft sizes I believe)?

I can't recall if the shaft on the early A's is a two-piece design like the later ones. If it is and it needs to be shortened, you could simply collapse the shaft to the proper length, re-pin it, and re-install. No cutting is necessary. If the two boxes are close enough in length and the new box will accept a manual steering coupler, just swap the boxes out.

Either way, removing the steering column is very simple and would make your life a whole LOT easier.

66 is not collapsible. I plan on using Borgeson u-joint, not coupler.

-
Back