Steering wheel choices for protouring guys?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I'm growing a bit tired of my base model all hard plastic steering wheel.
The rim is uncomfortably thin, the overly-large diameter interferes with my leg clearance and it's frankly just a cheap feeling piece...I have driven about 40,000 miles with this wheel so I think I'm ready for something new.

What do you guys suggest for a serious looking, performance-oriented wheel swap that doesn't look too out of place in a humble 1970s car?

Any suggestions are welcome.

IMG_1917.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG
I'm growing a bit tired of my base model all hard plastic steering wheel.
The rim is uncomfortably thin, the overly-large diameter interferes with my leg clearance and it's frankly just a cheap feeling piece...I have driven about 40,000 miles with this wheel so I think I'm ready for something new.

What do you guys suggest for a serious looking, performance-oriented wheel swap that doesn't look too out of place in a humble 1970s car?

Any suggestions are welcome.

try a Tuff steering wheel and a adaptor. They are smaller in size and has a soft grip.

Last edited:
That looks right on...I'm not sure if the chromed bits will work for me (I can't stand the glare from interior brightwork) but style-wise it looks just about right. Where did you get yours?[/QUOTE

the spokes are usually brushed aluminum or stainless steel. No chrome. Put up a want add on A-Body's or there are many aftermarkets vendors that sell them.

Last edited:
^yeah....that's pretty much perfect! Thanks!
If the spokes can be had in a brushed finish, that would alleviate my only real hesitation. I'll look around...

The Grant 846 is a satin steel finish, while the 1004 has more of a machined finish (according to their website). Best prices I saw were through Summit ($114 for the 846, $196 for the 1004) but Grant also sell direct through Amazon.com which may be cheaper with freight (it was for me). Flaming River also do a couple options, FR20161S in stainless or FR20161 in polished. More than twice the Grant 846 price but "real" leather instead of vinyl/foam (the Grant 1004 may be leather also - I sent Grant a tech enquiry about a week ago but got no response).

Grant wheel, made my own adapter to fit stock horn button. also matches pistol grip shifter
Dart Horn Button 002.JPG
Dart Horn Button 006.JPG

Hey, guys!
Thanks again for the suggestions. I just ordered up the Grant 846.
Is there one installation kit in particular that I would need for my Dart?

Would this kit do the job?

Amazon product ASIN B000CMH3II

Were you guys able to remove the stock wheel without a puller?
Also... will I need an adaptor? Something tells me that I will.

Last edited:
I'm glad this thread popped up. I was going to ask the same question.

Were you guys able to remove the stock wheel without a puller?
Also... will I need an adaptor? Something tells me that I will.

i needed a puller for mine.. and yes you'll need an adapter. i recommend the stock mopar style one though. the grant tuff wheel bolts right to it..

tuffwheel003.jpg

tuffwheel002.jpg

tuffwheel009.jpg

tuffwheel010.jpg

That does look decent. For my application I might have to roll the #243 for the wood grain since I have gold interior.

i needed a puller for mine.. and yes you'll need an adapter. i recommend the stock mopar style one though. the grant tuff wheel bolts right to it..

Ok...got a puller lined up. No problem.

As for the adaptor...that might be tricky.
I just called Grant twice, talked to two separate people who asked for the year/make/model then were were curt and dismissive. I asked about the part number for the adaptor...the first guy rapidly spat out a part number that didn't exist.

The second person insisted that I just needed the 3314 installation kit (above).

I'm not an idiot (most of the time)...but did I read correctly that I will need the Tuff Wheel adaptor or equivalent? Perhaps they don't make one?

It looks like the stock Mopar one is $100+?

Again, thanks for any help. I've never seen this job done...but I assumed that it wouldn't be hard to get the parts.

The Grant website has a vehicle specific search. According to that, the #3314 adapter kit is correct for my '71 Dart. Presumably it is for yours as well. That kit is $18.93+ $4.99 shipping on Amazon.

Thanks, guys...take a look at Joe's first pic... There's a spacer there that I believe is the adaptor in question. As far as I can tell, that spacer/adaptor doesn't come with the Grant Wheel not the install kits linked in this thread.

Thanks, guys...take a look at Joe's first pic... There's a spacer there that I believe is the adaptor in question. As far as I can tell, that spacer/adaptor doesn't come with the Grant Wheel not the install kits linked in this thread.
the spacer is a stock rimblow.tuff wheel spacer. the proper grand spacer is ugly as hell. and with the stubby grant adapter you have to bend your turn signal stalk...

grand also has or atlead had two tuff wheels.. the larger one is the one i had.. and better looking in my opinion.

Presumably then, as I currently have a rimblow wheel, the Grant 846 will be a direct bolt on for my application. Hopefully MRGTX will be able to get all his needed parts.

Thanks, Joe! Yep...another $100... oh well.
Fortunately, I did get the Classic/Nostalgia 846 as you recommended.

Is the turn signal stalk the only concern? If so, bending it might be an option...especially if it means that I could get an extra couple inches of arm room.

Jalake- what does your current wheel look like? Mine is the plastic/thin three spoke and I definitely don't have it.
IIRC, unless you have a rimblow or a tuff wheel, I don't think you have that spacer.

I have a rimblow wheel on there currently. It's in need of some resto. Multiple cracks and someone disconnected the rim horn activation, likely with good reason, and cut a hole in the center cover and put a horn button in it. :(

Last edited:
-
Back