Steering wheel clock

-

68Dartvader

Reaction score
Anyone seen this before if so how do i remove it to take it to a click shop
Off a 67 dart

20190303_153436.jpg

I would bet it is just like the OEM center, Hold the horn ring/wheel still and turn the center, or in your case clock bezel about 20 degrees counterclockwise.

Dont you have to push in on the horn ring before you twist counter clockwise?
I havent taken my horn ring off but that is how all other cars i have had in tbe past were

Dont you have to push in on the horn ring before you twist counter clockwise?
I havent taken my horn ring off but that is how all other cars i have had in tbe past were
Push to blow. The horn ring is held with screws beneath the center. The center has steel latching fingers. Pushing on the center wouldn't effect them. Just twist to unlatch.
This fancy horn ring shown ( with dust collecting grooves in it ) is more common to b-c- bodies but is seen in a few a-bodies. Our very first 67 notch had the same part. I still have it here. The clock is a aftermarket item, like knee knocker a/c.
Vintage car clocks had a set of points on a ratcheting spring winder mechanism inside. Points would close and make pop noise as they winded the clock to run approx' 3 minutes, winding down brought points together again, then the "pop" repeats.
I don't know if this particular clock works the same. In theory, picking 12 volts off the horn circuit/wire should cause the horn to sound every time the points closed. A quick "toot". Maybe the relay and horn(s) couldn't respond so fast, to such a brief signal. Maybe there was enough resistance in the clocks points/contact path that the horn relay doesn't close even briefly.
One more tidbit. Adjusting time forward caused the clock to run a tad faster, adjusting time backward caused the clock to run a tad slower. So the owner unknowingly fine tuned his clock to keep correct time.

This fancy horn ring shown ( with dust collecting grooves in it ) is more common to b-c- bodies but is seen in a few a-bodies. Our very first 67 notch had the same part. I still have it here.

My 67 had the same wheel on it and it was in nice shape too. Wish I would have held on to it but it did bring good money.

upload_2019-3-4_6-25-25.png

Push to blow. The horn ring is held with screws beneath the center. The center has steel latching fingers. Pushing on the center wouldn't effect them. Just twist to unlatch.
I muddied the waters a bit when I was talking horn ring, I was talking the entire horn assy, the center and outer large diameter ring on spokes. in many Fords I have had there is a plastic part that holds the horn assy to the steering wheel and if you just twisted it would break the plastic ears off.

Ill check out my FSM

Does it stay upright when you turn the wheel ?

it is probably just pressed in, but having never seen one of these this is just a guess.

I imagine it rotated with the wheel, but that would be cool if it floated like a compass and always stayed upright.

I'm sure it attaches the same way the factory horn button did. Hold the horn ring and steering wheel spoke, then (with the other hand) turn the horn button counter clockwise to remove, should only take 5-10 degree to pop it off.

Alan

Never seen that style before...I’m curious to see the back side and if there is a MoPar part number....

Ok so took it off thanks for the help. So the back says do not remove from the case do you think it'll void the warranty?

20190304_171915.jpg

20190304_171903.jpg

15517490780417261670881901695755.jpg

Bam thanks for the link. It is listed under the misc steering wheel clock link ..with a picture of the clock in the package. the clock has no tic or tock. But it is sure cool. Maybe one day I'll sell it

Thank all

Is it Battery powered or auto-wind, AUto-wind may be a problem if you dont drive your car every day.

-
Back