Steering wheel coupler

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used a removable steering wheel coupler on a stock 68 A-body steering column? I'd like to use one on my Dart.

pm bob shingler he just did it to his demon ....should be close to the same steering deal I would think.. :D

i don't know what the hey happened to the out of focus ones because i had the camera on macro, maybe i didn't wait long enough. i hope you can see everything well enough.
3rd pic down. an in focus pic of 5 & 6.
4th pic the plate i made to cover the wiring up.
5th pic, under the coupler is a spacer to get it up far enough to set the plate on and have a tad of space for the steering wheel to turn without rubbing it.
6th pic, it's a spacer that's between the coupler and the steering shaft, it's a piece of a diagonal link for ladder bars.
7th pic, it's a 1/4" steel roll pin to hold the coupler on the shaft.
you will also have to use a little screw to hold the horn roller down so the plate will sit flat.

Attachments

• steering wheel and fire bottle 001.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 349
  • steering wheel and fire bottle 007.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 365
  • steering wheel and fire bottle 006.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 361
  • steering wheel and fire bottle 005.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 356
  • steering wheel and fire bottle 004.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 341
  • steering wheel and fire bottle 003.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 360
  • steering wheel and fire bottle 002.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 328
Can you tell me the brand and part number of the coupler you bought? And since this is going on a race car. My application should be easier. Thanks for the details and pictures.

pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0873.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0874.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0875.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0876.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 334
on the steering shaft just past the spline the shaft get somewhat thicker...that is what needed to be grind on, so that the adapter will slide all the ways on,..

Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to buy the 3001 Grant hub, it's for a GM 36 spline and a Grant 3 bolt wheel.

I know this is an old post but wondering if you had trouble with the Jeg's splined sleeve being tight on the shaft? Looks to be right but seems like the splines are awfully tight and I don't want to beat it on! Number of splines is the same, but man it's tight.

Any help appreciated.

If I'm not mistaken, you used a different adapter ... weld in style, correct?

I was directing the question more at 70aarcuda since he used the same jegs brand splined adapter.
Probably need to send him a pm to get his attention.

Probably need to send him a pm to get his attention.

I did and he got back to me and set me straight!

For anyone's future reference, the jegs splined adaptor is almost a press fit onto the shaft spline. You need to gently tap the sleeve on to get it started far enough into the shaft to be able to get the nut threaded on and cinch it up the rest of the way.

Will try to post pix shortly ... Turned out great and was relatively painless.

Pix of finish install

This was a stock '67 car originally a /6

IMG_3013.JPG

IMG_3014.JPG

-
Back