Sterio Install

-

J-MacsMopars

Shade Tree Vintage Auto on YouTube
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am curious. I want to put a CD player in my Duster and really don't like them under the dash and I like to use my glove box. I like the look of them in the dash, but don't want to cut my perfect dash. The car is a crazy pieced together contraption anyway, so it's not going to hurt any value. What do you all think I should do?

who needs a CD player? If you were a REAL mopar guy, you'd rather listen to the sound of the exhaust anyway:D:D

cut it lol if along down the road it needs fixed its easy to weld in a new piece so cut it now lol. thats what i did and do

The dash frame isn't what I am worried about. Its the nice piece of plastick over it. :)

See if someone has one that has already been cut. Then put yours in a box and save it if/when you go back stock.

If the car is a ""crazy pieced together contraption"and "it's not going to hurt any value" , (like mine) Do what you want!! I don't think anyone will begrudge you wanting great tunes over keeping that POS dual knob AM radio.
I plan on taking a sawzall, chop a hole and filling it with a stereo that far out-paces what I paid for the car. Why? Because like many of our fellow gearheads, I think we're all like artists shaping our lumps of iron to express ourselves.

I say go for it.

If its just a "pieced together car" that isnt going to barrett jackson or anything... go for what you like.

My dash WAS also perfect untill about 2 weeks ago I decided to cut out the radio opening to fit a cd player.

I figure ( as said above) if I ever decided I wanted it factory again, I could always cut out a chunk from another dash and weld it in place and make it look factory again.

Good luck and do what you want to do!

Consider mounting a CD changer in the trunk like my son did in his '74 Dart Sport.

http://www.soundmove.com/secretaudio.htm
This particular unit might be expensive but I agree. Trunk mount the unit. Leave the factory unit in the dash for looks and use the other unit. Less likly to get stollen if they don't knoe it's there! You can get changers with multiple disc storage. Another option would be find a unit that you can hook up to your I-Pod as the number of songs can be large on those.

So many mixed views on what route to take its hard to make a choice.
So it will ultimately come down to what you want to do more than anything.

If you have the style with the plastic trim I suppose I would think twice about cutting the dash unless you were to buy a back up stock piece off of ebay or someone here on fabo just in case you changed your mind down the road.

Year one sells stock style turn knob radios but with digital displays to ad a little bit of new age technology into your older car. And they also have ipod/mp3 jacks on them and rca rear outputs.

So pretty much all the luxury of a newer radio but maintaining your factory radio hole.

I have a year one a body catalog that's a good 2 inch's thick, if your interested in the radio or any other specific parts,let me know and Ill find the part number for you.

you could always have the radio re done on the inside so it has an ipod or auxiliary input

I say find a radio that fits your dash and cut to fit!
Yep I cut an uncut rally dash, it also has an I pod cable in the glove box.

dash1.JPG

1.JPG

Cutting and uncutting a dash isn't nearly as easy as the guys here make it seem. If you ever wanted to return it to factory specs, you'd have to remove the windshield, remove the dash, weld a new piece in, cut it to factory, pay someone to powder coat it, install the dash with everything attached and then install the windshield. Even if the car is a beater, cut dashes can drop a cars price easily. If you go to sell it down the road and the guy wants to make it look factory, he is certainly not going to want to go through all that trouble for a freakin hole in the dash.

Either install it under the dash or in the glove box insert so you can just close the glove box when you're parked somewhere and no one will know you have a stereo. Or zip tie it to the wires under the seat and either control it with a remote or by ipod hook up.

-
Back