Steve Nitti;s supercharged /6 Duster

-

Bill Dedman

bill dedman
Legendary Member
Reaction score
The (new at this time; 11/5/'11,) January 2012 issue of Car Craft has a nice article on Steve Nitti's unusually-well prepared /6 Duster, which has a Procharger centrifugal blower on it. The article begins on page 60. Lots of good pictures and text.

Worth the price of the magazine. NEAT car!!!! And, fast...

I know Steve and watched the build at SharaDon Performance in Hugo, MN. It is an impressive car. It was in the World of Wheels in St. Paul last March. I was working setup for the Minnesota Street Rod Association when Steve drove the Duster into the St. Paul Civic Center. Everyone stopped what they were doing when they heard it come in. He also has a killer 1966 (not '67 as CC stated) Formula S Barracuda. Great guy.

Just took a quick read over the article in CC. Impressive to say the least. I've never seen or heard of a more well built car with a /6. Runs a 7.18 @ 98.23 8th per CC.

I saw that in Car Craft as well, very nice Duster. I always wondered how smoothies would look on a Duster and Steve's Duster answered that question. Who is the Denny guy that was mentioned many times in the article?

Those wheels and paint.When was thae last time someone did a feature in a magazine with steel smoothies and gold metallic paint?

I saw that in Car Craft as well, very nice Duster. I always wondered how smoothies would look on a Duster and Steve's Duster answered that question. Who is the Denny guy that was mentioned many times in the article?
Denny Baierl is the guy is the article and He and his father...Don run Sharadon performance in hugo mn. 651-426-0061 They built steves duster From the bare shell to what you see in the magazine. Also The car ran a new best ET...6.94 in the 1/8th lifting the front wheel breifly! The car is getting a trans brake over the winter so the car can leave on full boost! If you look on you tube under...supercharged slant six lifting a tire again you will see it lift the drivers side front wheel of the ground...Granted it is a little hop but considering its being done with a slant six is pretty cool! there are other videos on my channel of steves car.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07iwXmg3EUk"]supercharged slant 6 71 duster lifting the wheel - YouTube[/ame]

getting closer to trans brake time...The duster is scheduled to go in for the trans brake in about a month! Both wheels should lift then!!

getting closer to trans brake time...The duster is scheduled to go in for the trans brake in about a month! Both wheels should lift then!!

That should do great things for Steve's 60-foot times, and put him solidly in the tens, anywhere!

Please keep us posted. I think his car is going to be a mid-10 second car when he gets all the new-car development sorted out!:cheers:

Any progress on the trans-brake? Might be on the car, by now...

I'm really interested in seeing how it affects Steve's 60-foot times.

Let us know, please...:blob:

parts are ordered...Got to get it done soon! The car is going to the mopars at the strip in vegas! will post new times and videos as soon as we get back!

parts are ordered...Got to get it done soon! The car is going to the mopars at the strip in vegas! will post new times and videos as soon as we get back!

Wow, I'm excited to hear that Steve's car will be running there! There's going to be a lot of V8 guys scratching their heads... LOL!

Keep us posted, please!!!

That trans-brake will really improve his 60-foot times, I'd bet!

I'm guessing somewhere on the order of .2.5-second... IF the strip is well prepared (no wheeelspin.)

Lots of luck; I want to see that thing solidly in the mid-to high-tens...

Wow, I'm excited to hear that Steve's car will be running there! There's going to be a lot of V8 guys scratching their heads... LOL!

Keep us posted, please!!!

That trans-brake will really improve his 60-foot times, I'd bet!

I'm guessing somewhere on the order of .2.5-second... IF the strip is well prepared (no wheeelspin.)

Lots of luck; I want to see that thing solidly in the mid-to high-tens...

The transbrake works great! 1st stop was in Denver tonite. Will be in Vegas tomorrow.

The transbrake works great! 1st stop was in Denver tonite. Will be in Vegas tomorrow.

Remember, the Las Vegas drag strip is at "altitude." Normally-aspirated cars usually lose about .15 to .2.0-second compared with a sea-level strip.

I have no idea how much, or even IF, this altitude factor affects cars with forced induction at all. My guess is that the effect might be less, but I don't know.

Good luck with the test at Vegas! This is really exciting for me!!!:hello1:

Was there any 60-foot improvement with the Trans-brake, or did you have a chance to test it adequately?

Inquiring minds, and all of that... LOL!

Footbraked the car on the first pass. Spun the tires. Left off the transbrake on the 2nd pass and snapped the output shaft on the transmission. So much for Friday. Steve picked up a 904 at the swap meet and Denny repaired the transmission and had the car up and running again for Saturday. Being a little leary all of Saturday's passes where off the footbrake. Sunday's 1st round pass was off the footbrake and the 2nd round was off the transbrake which also = a redlight. A grudge match was then set up between Nitti's Duster and Mark Dutra's 62 Valiant. The car left off the transbrake and ran its best 60' off the weekend which was a 1.60 hangin the hoop's. The car had its best 60 last year with a 1.47. We'll get this transbrake launch figured out with some more seat time this year.

Footbraked the car on the first pass. Spun the tires. Left off the transbrake on the 2nd pass and snapped the output shaft on the transmission. So much for Friday. Steve picked up a 904 at the swap meet and Denny repaired the transmission and had the car up and running again for Saturday. Being a little leary all of Saturday's passes where off the footbrake. Sunday's 1st round pass was off the footbrake and the 2nd round was off the transbrake which also = a redlight. A grudge match was then set up between Nitti's Duster and Mark Dutra's 62 Valiant. The car left off the transbrake and ran its best 60' off the weekend which was a 1.60 hangin the hoop's. The car had its best 60 last year with a 1.47. We'll get this transbrake launch figured out with some more seat time this year.

Wow!!! That supercharged slant six twisted off a 904's input shaft!!!! LOL!!

That's awesome!

Well, ~I~ am certainly impressed! Twisted it off... LOL!

I love it...

No, I am sorry that you had transmission trouble.... just twisted it right off!!!!:hello1:

That is a BOSS!!!

Can't wait 'til you get on a properly-prepped strip; that thing is gonna FLY!

Thanks much for the update! You guys are really doing some good work.

Keep us posted!

Wowser...

The transmission trouble Fri dashed our testing plans. We will see shortly how quick it will go, just need a good day of testing.
Is like to post a picture, but don't have it hosted anywhere.

-
Back