Still bubbling out overflow after changing water pump, thermostat, radiator,hoses??

-
As Tooljunky pointed out if you run without an overflow (or for that matter a cap on) the level in the rad would need to be lower because as the coolant heats up it expands and will flow out. most cars with overflow bottle can have a 2-4 inch rise in the fluid level in the overflow bottle between cold and hot.

I'm starting to think there is nothing wrong. Fill it up, put the cap on, let it run till the temp gauge shows normal, let it cool and recheck the fluid levels. Listen for boiling after it is shut off to cool.
I have over flow tank that won't work in my car..I'm going to temporarily put it in and see what it does after fully warmed up

I really don't think you have a problem anymore. Fill rad, heat cool cycle a couple of times with overflow and cap on and see where you are. The more you describe the issue the more I remember having the same issues and it was just me over thinking things.

Rad cap should be for overflow type system.may not be different.

I really don't think you have a problem anymore. Fill rad, heat cool cycle a couple of times with overflow and cap on and see where you are. The more you describe the issue the more I remember having the same issues and it was just me over thinking things.
Ok will let you know shortly..thanks for your help guys!!

my overflow unit is a 16oz. Sparks can. drill a hole in therm and boil on stove as has been posted. if still having problem do a compression test

my overflow unit is a 16oz. Sparks can. drill a hole in therm and boil on stove as has been posted. if still having problem do a compression test
Ok so ran car for awhile and watched over flow bubble a bit than it stopped..when car was warmed up watched temp guage and it ran little warmer than I remember..but temp went up and down a bit as thermostat opened and closed..never ran too hot tho just over center 3/4 mark..but filled overflow and had to drain a bit out ..let run bit more than shut off..then herd bubbling in the
hoses and it filled overflow again and had to spill a little out not to much each time..but was bubbling threw out

Ok so ran car for awhile and watched over flow bubble a bit than it stopped..when car was warmed up watched temp guage and it ran little warmer than I remember..but temp went up and down a bit as thermostat opened and closed..never ran too hot tho just over center 3/4 mark..but filled overflow and had to drain a bit out ..let run bit more than shut off..then herd bubbling in the
hoses and it filled overflow again and had to spill a little out not to much each time..but was bubbling threw out
When out and chked again and it sucked the overflow dry..am I missing something here..... something obvious and dumb..am I brain farting!!?!?

You say you are "filling up your radiator".
How high are you filling the radiator ?
You should only be filling the radiator about 3" below the cap. This allows room
for "Expansion". That is why they call the top of the radiator an "Expansion Tank".
It gives room for water to expand. Try filling your radiator just above the top of the core tubes, or 3"-4" below the cap. If everything is in working order, you should be good to go.
Report back.

PS: Get rid of the over flow tank. Its nothing but a band aid.

Not sure if I said this already but my 67 273 would boil after shut down and overflow due to rad cap being too low of pressure. Mine calls for a 16 lb cap and my dad had put a 7lb cap on at some point. I replaced the cap and no more boiling n shut down.

You say you are "filling up your radiator".
How high are you filling the radiator ?
Are you filling it to the top ?
If you are, you shouldn't be.
You should only be filling the radiator about 3" below the cap. This allows room
for "Expansion". That is why they call the top of the radiator an "Expansion Tank".
It gives room for water to expand. Try filling your radiator just above the top of the core tubes, or 3"-4" below the cap. If everything is in working order, you should be good to go.
Report back.
Really..I never knew or herd of that..I've always just filled the radiator. How would you burp the system if their is air in the top of radiator..what about the bubbling hoses after I turned it off..never ran into that before

Not sure if I said this already but my 67 273 would boil after shut down and overflow due to rad cap being too low of pressure. Mine calls for a 16 lb cap and my dad had put a 7lb cap on at some point. I replaced the cap and no more boiling n shut down.
Ya they said my cap was 16 lb but has no marking

from a website..."Using a pressurized radiator cap can raise the system pressure and thus the coolant boiling point. A typical 1 Bar (14.5psi) pressure cap theoretically raises the boiling point of 50-50 coolant to 253°F, which you would expect to be sufficient to prevent boiling."

Dont open rad,keep topping resevoir up a liitle at a time. Its got air.

Really..I never knew or herd of that..I've always just filled the radiator. How would you burp the system if their is air in the top of radiator..what about the bubbling hoses after I turned it off..never ran into that before

Only in a "closed cooling system", would you fill it to the top.

You can fill your radiator to the top, and let it puke, until it stops. Only then will your water level
be at the proper level. Or you can fill it to the level I suggested, and not have it puke all over.
Its up to you how you want to do it.

Only in a "closed cooling system", would you fill it to the top.

You can fill your radiator to the top, and let it puke, until it stops. Only then will your water level
be at the proper level. Or you can fill it to the level I suggested, and not have it puke all over.
Its up to you how you want to do it.
I'll try it ..but would that make it bubble in the hoses after shutdown?

Want to know a secret ?
If its pulling coolant in from resevoir, there is a good chance it does NOT have a leak in the cooling system.
So, keep topping resevoir and warming engine up..
Eventually it will smarten up....
If it doesent misbehave on cold start after cooling off and not opening rad cap is another good sign.

-
Back