still having problems, need advice please

-
hooked the alt back up real quick to do this test, and it wouldn't stop on any given number. it read 33, 13, 5, 2, 33, 13, 5, 2, 33 etc in repetition. this was with engine not running Brian, is that right?

No, engine running set your range on volt meter to 4 volts a/c and see what you have

exactly, I'd be happy with that, but look at my ground numbers. high voltage.
Yes, those are high numbers for a ground circuit.
But, your charging system seems to be doing o.k. by the last readings.
So, two things come to mind:
1. The alternator has "found" another ground path back to the battery. And your designated ground straps/wires are just window dressing, electrically speaking.
2. Your digital meter is picking up Rf from somewhere and giving nonsense readings.
A/C generated noise, maybe? That's a question for brian6pac. Perhaps checking the ground circuit with the test light? as he mentioned earlier. An 8v or 10v drop would probably make the light glow.

Gotta go for a couple of hours. The little woman wants to go grocery shopping and dinner out.

Is this your meter

mm1000.jpg

it's in auto that's why you are getting the #'s repeated

push the range button and it will set the range and you will get solid #'s
ahh, was missing that when I went through the range, thought it only went to tenths reading, thanks Brian, sending pics and will put alt back on.

this thing is clean, and was this clean the first time, LOL
car1.jpg
car2.jpg
car3.jpg
car4.jpg
car5.jpg

and most of the wiring and clips to the alternator/reg are new

it's in auto that's why you are getting the #'s repeated

push the range button and it will set the range and you will get solid #'s
OK Brian, here's the numbers now, LOL
this is at idle, I haven't went up to 1500 rpms
on my grounds: 5 at battery, 6 at frame, 4.8 at firewall, still sucking.
14.2 at battery, 14.3 at alt post, 13.6 at ballast?, and 10.15 at coil?
when the fan kicked in I took readings at the battery and alternator, 13.8 at battery, 14.04 at alt post.
had to edit, the number at battery in a/c is zero

Last edited:
I think you don't know how to check grounds, your doing something wrong. All the voltages are good, If the grounds were that bad your voltage would be way off.

When you say 5 at battery where are your leads
should have taken my time, my apology.
battery to block 5V, block to frame 6V, block to firewall 4.8 and I'm going to get around to the back side of the head and get a new ground from block.
does it matter if there are more than one ground from block to firewall?

so neg on battery to head, or pos on bat to head
I have been going from negative battery post with one lead, then going to block at wire connection, then frame at wire connection, then to the strap from block to firewall. should I be going to other places?

I got things to do but the scale at the bottom when you hit the range button should change from auto to 0-4 v 0-40v 0-400v, maybe you should find your manual for it or look it up online, figure out how to use your meter might fix all your problems

I got things to do but the scale at the bottom when you hit the range button should change from auto to 0-4 v 0-40v 0-400v, maybe you should find your manual for it or look it up online, figure out how to use your meter might fix all your problems
thanks for your help Brian, I was just looking through that. again, thanks

thanks again Brian, and excuse my ignorance. only decimal for volts and I thought it would auto down as well as up, but it doesn't. you have to manually set the decimal only, no numbers to set in the volt setting. again, you help was immensely helpful, thank you for taking the time to help a dumb old carpenter (if you ever need any help there, that I know, and willing to help).

-
Back