Still Too Hot

-
Over 4yrs ago I said I'd give an update to my heat concerns. Well here it is. Parked the car, except for occasional coffee runs, and started on my 451 stroker.
Revived it this week, built a shroud, removed all electric fans & controls (what a waste of $$), installed direct OEM 6 blade fan and did a trial test. It's 100+* in high desert this week so after warm-up I let it idle for over 1/2 hr. It never went above 180*. I call that a success. The Champion with a shroud is doing it's job. I'm not a "hater", I just love to learn. Thanks RRR & the rest for thoughts & comments.
100_2893.JPG
100_2894.JPG

I can tell you that a third fan in front of the radiator isnt helping you. Pushers are not as efficient as pullers, and that fan is probably causing more blockage and turbulent airflow than its worth. A single large fan with a shroud would do worlds better IMO. I messed with pushers and clutch fans for years before a single derale with a shroud answered my prayers.

If u run a pusher, make sure its not against the rad. , sure is comforting to hear it kick on at a traffic light in the summer heat when the temp starts climbing , holding it at 205 .
2 9' FANS AINT GONNA KEEP MUCH COOL EUTHER ! Don't run a thin 1/2-3/4" shroud either !!

If u run a pusher, make sure its not against the rad. , sure is comforting to hear it kick on at a traffic light in the summer heat when the temp starts climbing , holding it at 205 .
2 9' FANS AINT GONNA KEEP MUCH COOL EUTHER !

IMG_0469 (3).JPG

Over 4yrs ago I said I'd give an update to my heat concerns. Well here it is. Parked the car, except for occasional coffee runs, and started on my 451 stroker.
Revived it this week, built a shroud, removed all electric fans & controls (what a waste of $$), installed direct OEM 6 blade fan and did a trial test. It's 100+* in high desert this week so after warm-up I let it idle for over 1/2 hr. It never went above 180*. I call that a success. The Champion with a shroud is doing it's job. I'm not a "hater", I just love to learn. Thanks RRR & the rest for thoughts & comments. View attachment 1715382363 View attachment 1715382364

That's one badass shroud man! Good job! Glad you got it licked!

Famous what’s with that hose feeding off your shroud ? Air intake ?
Not there any more , had a couple of tubes feeding air to the headers, tryin to keep from burning the valve cover qaskets up. The raised port heads have them almost touching the covers. I have those 2 tubes wrapped , and shields in between the headers and covers now , w/ hughs burn proof gaskets .
Now about that rear main leak-----------

everyone with old cars worry if temps get obove 200,me included,but our new cars do and we dont bat a eye.i quess its old school thinking.i wouldnt be concerened until 230
That might work with a high pressure system. Old cars run at much lower pressures, therefore the coolant boils at a somewhat lower temperature. For every pound of pressure exerted on the coolant in the system, the static boiling point of the coolant is raised by approximately 3° F.

-
Back