stock 318 won't start

-

72swingerVA

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Swinger with the stock 318 and column-shifted 3 speed automatic that used to be my daily driver years ago. Now when I try to start the car, it turns over, but will not catch. I couldn't smell gas when trying to start it, so I figured it was a fuel system problem. I changed the spark plugs (never hurts) and replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump with aftermarket replacements for the stock items (not upgrades or performance parts, just stock replacements). I also did a quick-fix to the carb linkage (something fell off, so I replaced the missing piece with a nut & bolt - cheesy, but it works now). I haven't touched the carb itself. Battery power is good, and the car has an orange box Mopar electronic ignition installed by the previous owner. Now there is fuel, and the car turns over, but it still won't start. I'm about out of ideas what to do next (besides have it towed to a shop) - any suggestions?

OK, pump the carb and make sure you have gars squirting out of the accelerator pump.

Second, pull a spark plug wire and lay the end near a metal object so the spark can make the jump to be seen and heard by the "Crackling" sound it makes.

IF you have fuel and spark, the timing was knocked way off. Loose distributor?

Looking straight down the throat of the carb while my wife tried to start it & pushed the pedal I saw no gas at all. It's got a clear filter & I saw the gas there, so I know the new fuel pump was working (I also fixed a small leak in a fuel hose). The carb linkage is moving properly, including the accelerator pump arm. So...does this mean I need a carb rebuild?

If it is a rebuild...I have an old Edelbrock 600cfm 4bbl. and a rebuild kit for it (it hasn't been on a running car in about 12 years, it will definitely need a rebuild). I've never done a carb rebuild myself and was planning to try it on the Edelbrock. I've got a factory service manual on CD from Detroit Iron and an Edelbrock/Carter rebuild book, but no experience. So, should I go ahead and try the Edelbrock rebuild, or do the stock 2bbl. first just to get the car running?

Eventual plans for this car are to make it into a nice driver, but never a show car or racer - the car is in pretty good shape overall, but has lots of parking lot dings and has been in at least one wreck before I got it, so I figure it's perfect for practice/learning for an amateur like me.

Spill some gas in the carb first to see if it sparks to life.

If your pumping the carb from the pedal or the arm (As if the pedal was being pushed down by a foot) and you see no gas coming out, the accelerator pump is either bad or the passage is clogged. Double check that the carb has fuel in it.

A few things you'll need to rebuild the carb that your going to need is a solution to clean the carb. Most off the shelf cans (Gallon sized) carb cleaner aren't that strong anymore. The carbon build on in the carbs throat area will not come clean. Carb cleaner in a can will do it with lint less towels will do the job.

Rebuilding a carb is easy. It'll take some time. Lay all the parts out on the table in some order that you figure out so re-assembly is easier. I like to lay my parts out on a towel.

I started rebuilding carbs with the book about Carter carbs (Everything you wanted to know about Carter carbs and even things you didn't want to know.) They have step by step instructions and decent pictures to do the job for all of Carters 4bbl. carbs. Edelbrock's carbs are cast by Weber and are copies of the Carter carbs. (Save the Edelbrock Thunder series AFB/AVS hybrid style carb.)

I actually did both - had my wife turn the key and push the pedal, and I had her turn the key while I moved the linkage by hand. I'll try carb cleaner (I've got some already, spray can type) and pouring some gas in tonight.

Thanks for all the helpful advice - even though it's not my daily driver any more, I'm determined to get my Dart running again, and I really appreciate the help.

Carb cleaner when your rebuilding it. not to clean it on the car.

Got it. It actually started for a few seconds when I poured some gas in last night, but wouldn't keep running. Time for my first carb rebuild! Thanks again.

-
Back