Stock 318's with Four Barrels from the factory?

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Did Chrysler build anything with a 318 in it that had a 4 barrel carburetor on it from the factory?

I think I read somewhere that some of their police cruisers had 318's in them.

I picked this air cleaner up from a FABO member for my project. He didn't know what it was from and I wonder what it may have been on from the factory. It says 360 four barrel on it, but it has a round snorkel opening.

I'm also curious what if any call out lettering would have been on a 318 4 barrel air cleaner housing?

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 783
  • photo 3.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 755
  • photo 1.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 814
Looks like a mid to late 70s 360 4-barrel air cleaner. Cordobas, trucks, police cars. The red express air cleaners were like that only with another snorkel.

I have a 318 factory 4 barrel in my shop. Can't remember, '86 or '88 cop motor. The air cleaner was plain black. If it had anything on the breather, it was gone before I got it.

had a 78 D100 with 318 4 barrel in it...thermoquad

When I bought my first car, '74 Dart Swinger, it had a 318 w/ a 4-barrel Holley. Since it was my first car I assumed 1974 model 318's had 4-barrels. But one day I crept under the car to check the block casting numbers, hopefully wishing it was a 360 in disguise. I find out online it's really a 318 Fast-Burn from around 1985-1989.

Also Late fifties 318's had 4-barrel configurations if I recall correctly.

2 dr Volare with a factory 318 4bbl (TQ)

cop cars and trucks on the 318 4bbl, my scamp has a 74 date code 4bbl intake on it but it came with a 318 2bbl.now has a 74 360 4bbl in it.

They were putting 4 barrels on 318s in the early '70s, but because of the 318 having a black sheep reputation in the US performance market, we didn't see them.

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

In short yes. Year dependent. The Poly engine did gets 4 & 2x4 (1 year only)
The "LA" 318's got them mostly in cop cars. They used the 360 intake and heads.

Also, aside from the Valiant SuperBee pictured above all the way back to 1970,

The Brazilian Chargers with the '67-'69 lines, made from 1970-1980 Were outfitted with the high compression 4barrel 318.

tumblr_lubig9RqMP1qflydqo1_1280.jpg

Hell yes they did!

I would LOVE to own a 1970-1974 Charger. They are GORGEOUS.

1972-dodge-charger-rt.jpg

The first one is the coupe body based sold in Mexico.

They were putting 4 barrels on 318s in the early '70s, but because of the 318 having a black sheep reputation in the US performance market, we didn't see them.

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

Dave,
That is a unique A-body if it is original.....
I see an 80's style alternator, washer jug on the passenger side, plus the air cleaner is from the 60's.
What I have only seen one of is a single plane high rise cast iron 2bbl intake on a 69 318 with a steel crank, it was in a 69 D100 I had years ago.

That's cool.

I have a factory side draft intake for a slant six. Motorhome deal, I think. No idea what to do with it.

Yeah, that's an original car. They were sort of mutts. Chrysler Mexico was required to manufacture some of the stuff there, to be imported. They did the washer bottles and a few other things.

Not entirely sure about the alternator, but could be legit for all I know. It's a '74 Mexican Superbee.

Those caps are unique. And those aren't cop car wheels. Slots are square and shorter. They are unique to those cars in Mexico.

Check the collab of parts inside this thing-

Console w/ compartment
IMG_2356.jpg

E body wheel
IMG_2363.jpg

The name Valiant was actually the Make.

IMG_2382.jpg

AutoMex was the local parts manufacturer.

that would explain the voltage regulator by the master cylinder then, I thought it was a dart sport, cool car.

That would also explain the bock off plates on the firewall for the emission crap.

That would also explain the bock off plates on the firewall for the emission crap.

true, kinda like looking at a car from the twilight zone, the outside looks like a dart sport, but under hood and inside is a whole different setup

I love the Mexican built cars.
A lot of them had the 4 bbl 318's, console 4 speed, hood tachs and hoop scoops.
The washer bottle was on the passenger side and had ''Automex'' molded in, the v.i.n. was in the door pillar not the dash as well as welded to the front driver's side frame rail and the driver's side rear frame rail by the rear diff, the fender tag was totally different and riveted on, the wiper motors were different, the interiors had some differences depending on the year, the heel pad in the carpet had ''Automex'' molded into it, radio was different, and the speedometer was in metric (km/h not mp/h).
The exhaust manifold didn't have a heat riser on the passenger's side and no heated air intake for the air cleaner horn, engine colors, alternator, air cleaner, wheels and stripes, etc......and a lot more.
Cool cars.

If you wanted a 318 with a factory 4 barrel carb in the US market between 63-77 you were S.O.L. unless you bought a boat.

The lack of emission laws in Mexico likely made 318 4 barrels possible there.

Aspens and Volares, and other J & M bodies, had a variety of options, including 318 4bbl and 360 2bbl, depending on the years.

FWIW, it surprised me years ago when I saw it, but I bought an OEM hood with scoop and factory holes in it off of a '73 318 Dart Sport (2 bbl) that was being parted out. Light blue with hood and over the roof side stripes in black. I still have it.

-
Back