Stock 340 springs vs comp 901-16

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Using freshened up 340 x heads on my new build.
They have factory springs and valves. I have another option of using "newer" 901-16 springs from comp cams. These are currently installed on running 273 that's in the cuda now.
Plan is to use adjustable rockers from 273 as well.
Pros/cons of one set over another?
Thanks in advance and Happy New Year

Happy new years!
Used springs will have less per sq inch than new ootb because the heat cycling when in service. They lose around 7lbs.
Do they look the same?
Is it necessary? Idk, are you looking for a few extra rpms?

New VS new, I think those springs are REAL close. .......IF that helps any. LOL

I'm pretty sure the 340 are stock originals, so are the valves. When machine shop freshened the heads, he cleaned up valves and reinstalled them with original springs. Machinist said they were fine. The 901-16 are 5 years old. Maybe 8000 miles on them.
X heads will be coming apart for a diy port cleanup.
No luck on 901-16 pics. I'll try to get pics of stock ones in the next few days.
Both of these choices are available to me (paid for) so looking for "best" option.
I'm not looking for super high rpms. Just looking for a good strong street 340.
Looking at specs I've read they are pretty close lol
Thanks guys
Happy new years!
Used springs will have less per sq inch than new ootb because the heat cycling when in service. They lose around 7lbs.
Do they look the same?
Is it necessary? Idk, are you looking for a few extra rpms?

New VS new, I think those springs are REAL close. .......IF that helps any. LOL

It would be dependent on camshaft IMO.

If using a stock 340 cam, the OEM spring is fine. If you are running something bigger, springs may be a consideration.

Happy New Year you hockey loving fool! :)

You're debating a lot for a set of $70 springs. If you want to use worn springs on the heads, go for it. But IMO there's no reason to use them when the Comps are $70 and easy to get. Especially if you have plans to run kind of mild performance cam. If the heads were tired and needed a valve job, the springs needed replacement as far as I'm concerned.

Actually, there is a fair difference in those springs. The 910 have a spring rate that is 353 lbs/in versus around 250 lbs/inch. So they are better at fighting valve float. I'd use the 901's... for those times when you just fee like revving it out... which WILL happen LOL

What is the cam's maximum valve lift? And the cam PN or make/model? (Lift is used to evalulate maximum spring pressures which is one thing that effects lifter-on-lobe pressure at the cam, and so does ramp rate on the cam. I suspect you don't want super high pressures on the lifter-to-lobe contact as that just increases risk to the cam.)

Last edited:
Why would I need shims? Just to compensate for the stock springs being used?
Thanks!
Shims are used to set the valve springs to the proper height with the valves closed. That gets the springs to their proper operating pressure specs, if the valves have been sunk into the heads after valve work, or if retainers have been changed, etc. (They are not supposed to be used to make up for tired valve springs but I am sure that has been done!)

I always wondered how much difference it makes that a lot of the valves are open or partially open when the engine is setting for a long time.

Want a lower cost alternative to the comp spring

trick flow 16901

Same spring about 10-15 less $'s

Shimming is a way to get additional spring pressure when springs are marginal for the use or tired.

If you go the 901/16901 springs, look at the diameter vs the stock retainers as the 901's have a larger diameter vs factory.

Need new retainers with those springs. I used the Trickflow springs with the Comp retainers.

Uh-oh. I was hoping to use our factory retainers with our new 1.494 diameter springs.

Going to have to measure them and test fit when they come in the mail.

Fingers crossed. Lol

IME(experience), Factory 340 springs could barely do the job in the first place. Every 340 I ever had, OK all 4 of the factory 340s and one DartSport 360 I ever had, floated the valves waay too early; one of them barely made 5500. And two of the four were low mileage engines when I got them, including the lowest at 11,000miles.
I put those 340 springs on my teeners and get 5500 or better out of them. I got a big ol' box full of them.
I know, 4 or 5 engines don't sound like much, but for me it was 100% failure.
A Hi-C factory 340 is just woke up at 5500, and with an automatic, needs to hit 6200 to 6400 to cover the powerband, and I like to stretch 'em out some more than that, just to put a little jump in the hood on the shift.
I put some Hughes 1111 springs on my HE3037AL, and now she goes 7200 or better all day,every day,and has for over 100,000 mi.:thumbsup:

Don't wimp out on the springs. Don't wimp out on the oiling mods. Don't botch the cam-install, and Don't forget to straighten out the rocker geometry. Then drive the berrys off it!

I had an HE2430Al for a few years. That's a little 223/230/110 Hughes. The power peaked at 5000 maybe a little better. With my powerband requirement,I only needed to spin it to 5500. But you know with those springs and the Eddies, that stoopid little cam just kept pulling like the Energizer Bunny. So I let it buck, sometimes to 7200, cuz it went there! What a rush for a guy that was used to 340s calving early.
Hyup wind it up in first, slam it into second, and burn the tires till the little red-light comes on! Then on the brakes real hard, cuZ you know, a speeding ticket eats into my gas-money.
I'd give up my beer money for a month, to get good springs. Oh wait, I don't drink beer.
I'd give my condom-cash for a year, to get good springs. Oh wait, my wife is 60.
I'd give up um,lessee, a rev-limiter, for good springs. There ya go.

Last edited:
Uh-oh. I was hoping to use our factory retainers with our new 1.494 diameter springs.

Going to have to measure them and test fit when they come in the mail.

Fingers crossed. Lol
The ID should be almost identical. The 901's spring wire is thicker (which is what makes the higher spring rate, along with 1 less coil IIRC), so the OD is larger by about .080" or so. How much of the spring wire 'hangs out' past the edges of the retainers is one question....it could be perhaps in the neighborhood of as .040" if the spring stays centered on the retainer. That is around 15-20% of the wire diameter so most of the spring is still 'under' the retainer. So a bit of the spring wire hanging off of the edge is not a big deal IMHO as long at stays fairly well centered.

The retainers' strength is quite another question. With higher lift and the 901's, the retainers can be seeing 50% or more greater force on them. But it seems like it is working for folks...

Hi all, thanks for the input. Sorry i wasn't clear enough earlier. The 901-16 springs are currently installed on 273 that is running and installed in the cuda. My "plan/thoughts" are to remove these parts listed below from running 273 and install them in 340. I have a build thread started and the link for that build is below as well.
Spec for cam lists 0.468 as valve lift. I'm assuming thats max lift? Cam and lifters from Comp (#20-246-4) link below.
Parts from 273
1. Cam n lifters from comp #20-246-4
2. Double roller timing chain from Comp (3103)
3. Retainers from comp #747-16
4. Factory 273 adjustable rockers and push rods.
If I use 901 springs, the heads will have to come off the 273, meaning new head gaskets will be needed (would like to keep 273 as together as possible)Or i could use the rope in bore trick to keep valves up to remove springs.
All the comp parts have approx 8-10,000 miles on them. Cam I picked (270s) is/was too big for 273. I'm contemplating it going in the 340. And yes I plan on getting on it once in a while.
Yeah I'm a little long winded here, sorry. Just trying to explain what my options are.
340 X heads are 69 stock springs and valves, fresh valve job, no rockers
Thanks for advice all.
Links below
You can skip to page 7 on my build thread lol
273 302 318 340 build
Comps link
20-246-4 - Magnum™ Mechanical Flat Tappet Camshafts

If the valve job sunk the valves up into the heads, you may need to use shims to get the 901's to spec installed valve height to get to spec spring pressures. Install them and use something moderately precise to measure from the bottom of the retainer/top of spring to the bottom of the spring. (You don't need to be to the precision of .001" in this measurement.) Being within .010-.015" of the spec installed height is good for most uses, IMHO; +/- .015" is a pressure change of +/- 6lbs. Spec installed height is 1.650" IIRC.

I think I would use the rope trick to get them off of the 273. If you like, I bet your machine shop would check the springs for you, or let you use their spring tester, just to make sure you don't have a one going flat.

At .468"valve (with the spring at spec installed height when the valves are closed), your spring pressure is going to be around 260-270 lbs. That is pretty decent spring pressure without going into the range of 'high' pressures.

I suggest you just leave the springs on the 273 heads and buy the 901's. The rope trick works with one cylinder at a time on or close to tdc. It really doesn't work with 8 cylinders at the same time. (to get all 16 springs off)

That's a lot of messing around for a $70 set of fresh springs.

-
Back