Stock BB Radiator Cooling

-

69'Barracuda

Reaction score
Possibly getting a stock bb radiator off of a member here for my 383 727 barracuda. It shouldn't need recored, I was wondering how adequate these were/ are at cooling. I understand that a simple fan swap can mean the difference between 20 and 30 degrees in some cases, can anyone suggest a good cooling fan that looks and fits stockish as well. Thanks

Just a FYI- I own a restored '68 cuda 383 with a recored original radiator. The original set-up seems adequate under all conditions, haven't had any problems, but still rate the system as marginal.

If you must have a stock copper/brass radiator I suggest you have it recored with 1.25" tubes at least 2 rows. this is an ongoing issue at FABO and everyone has an answer . IMO there needs to be a sticky done especially regarding cars with a 22" opening . I have spoken to Cold Case and ECP and of course they want me to buy their product . Right now my 383's temp goes to 230* after 5 minutes of driving . Not acceptable ! Griffin rads work but, OMG, the price and Glen-Ray is double that price . I'm not cutting my car or modifying any radiator .

If you must have a stock copper/brass radiator I suggest you have it recored with 1.25" tubes at least 2 rows.

don't forget that if you want to stay copper/brass, the best you can do is US Radiator 4 row. You can only get 1.25" tubes with aluminum rads and only a few companies offer it.

From a cooling and volume standpoint, 4 row is still not even as good as 2 1" rows. Let alone 2 1.25" rows.

The Griffin radiator does NOT cool any better than the Cold Case radiator. They have the same fin spacing, volume, tank size, production methods etc.

So then Cold Case is a Griffin copy? Kim
Yes and no. When you are the new kid on the block, you normally want to copy the best. However, we didn't purposely copy their specifications. In fact, when we first came up with the business model for our radiators, we instead targeted several other brands. At the time, embarrassingly, we didn't even think Griffin used stamped tanks nor did we know they used dual 1.25" tubes in a lot of their models. Our stamped tanks are our own design and tooling. Each radiator we make is made from OEM type drawings that are available in the aftermarket. Then in many cases, we test the sample on a car or get a customer to test for us. The idea for the 1.25" tubes came from my incredibly good personal experience with 1.25" tubes on a radiator I had purchased well before Cold Case existed.

-
Back