Stock disc Prop valve vs adj prop valve with drum distribution block

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
title says most of it

Converting from drum to K/H front disc brakes

If using the stock drum distribution block, all I reall need to add to the system is an aftermarket adjustable proportioning valve correct? Gives the option of switching to 4 wheel discs later. $40-$50 new

Or go with stock style prop valve $90 new

Which should be your preference.

I'm guessing most people will reccomend an aftermarket adjustable.
Fine and dandy.
I've done three "stock MOPAR" conversions and used OE A body front disk combo valves.
(The one that looks sort of like Texas to me).:)
No issue with that and can't speak to the repo of that one.
For general FYI this place sells a cheap rebuild kit for it with a "how to".
Catalog | Muscle Car Research LLC

I generally prefer the adjustable, especially if the car might see the track, or might get further brake upgrades in the future. I'm sure there are lots of good brands, but I only have experience with Baer and Wilwood. Both were great. But to qualify my opinion, I'm the kind of guy that's constantly adjusting things, trying things, and generally screwing with my setups. Most people prefer to install it and forget it, and to many on this forum, OEM has value.

I might have a prop valve for the single piston discs 73-76 but wondering how much of a “real” difference that would have on a K/H disc setup.

I have a 68 Barracuda with the KH 4-piston discs up front and 10" drums on the back.
Plus a booster with a 15/16 master.And
235/60-14s up front with 295/50-15s in the back,and
no proportioning at all; zero.
Best stopping A-body I've ever had.
I ran it with a Combination Valve from a 73 disc/drum Dart for a while. That wasn't bad with 245/60-14s in the back. But with 275/60-15s, I thought Hmmmmmmmm what if I gutted the Proportioning part of the valve? Well that worked really well.
Then with 295s I was able to get even more braking with the next size bigger rear wheel cylinders. That was so good I left well-enough alone. I'm pretty sure the rear could stand to be a little stronger yet. But the car has little enough front brake dive as it is, so I'm leaving it alone. And, she's a manual trans car with an 11:1, 360 so she has lots of compression braking as well...... yet no early rear lock-up. She just hunkers down like an old Corvette.
Happy HotRodding

-
Back