Stock Exhaust Manifold Install & Removal

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am about to lift a 340 out of a 69 Barracuda that has stock exhaust manifolds. The is little clearance to remove them with the engine bolted in unless master comes off and a few studs removed. Drivers side lower flange hits the power steering shaft. I do not want to ding the fenders and the engine bay paint. Is there a preferred method to remove the maniflods/engine. Looks like they cannot be removed/installed bolted tot he engine. Should the engine be lifted slightly and then pushed to make the clearance? Passsanger side looks like the heat riser will scrape the engine bay if lifted.

Any advice to remove and re-install to keep the engine bay unharmed is appreciated.

If you are truley looking to not nick any paint the prefered method is to drop the engine out the bottom. Seperate the upper ball joint, un-bolt the k-member, unbolt the tranny cross member and lift the car off the engine/transmission.

It really won't take too much to remove the steering column. Then the engine could be lifted out. Give you a chance to detail the column a little easier too. Good time to rebuild the steering coupler joint also.

don

Thanks for the 2 suggestions. As far as removing the engine from underneath, has anyone done this in their home garage safely? If so how did you get the car up enough in th front or on all 4 corners to do this? How high does the car need to be lifted?

dropping the engine out the bottom is next to impossible without a hoist. There's no way to safely lift the car high enough to get the engine out.

Gee I seen pictures of people lifting the car off the engine with a regular engine hoist. Without the weight of the engine tranny I would think a couple bury guys could lift the front up the 36" or so to clear the engine .

-
Back