Stock FI and A833

-

GREEN DART 5

Reaction score
I've got a good running, all stock, 5.9 in a 1996 Ram 2500 and want to swap it into my '71 Dart with an A833. I have some questions about my parts list.

I will be purchasing a flywheel from American Powertrain FWCH-10004CS. Is this the best route to take in order to keep the FI? Should I be worried about the 1/2" notch I have to cut into the bell housing for the crankshaft position sensor? Would a trigger on the harmonic balancer work better?

What is the best fuel pump to use and where is the best mounting location?

Would I have to change my fuel line to 3/8"?

I know I have to change the oil pan and pick up. Also, going to have to look for a power steering bracket from a van. Anything else I'm missing?

Magnumswap has been very helpful!!!! Thanks FABO!!!
IMG_3565.JPG

I've got a good running, all stock, 5.9 in a 1996 Ram 2500 and want to swap it into my '71 Dart with an A833. I have some questions about my parts list.

I will be purchasing a flywheel from American Powertrain FWCH-10004CS. Is this the best route to take in order to keep the FI? Should I be worried about the 1/2" notch I have to cut into the bell housing for the crankshaft position sensor? Would a trigger on the harmonic balancer work better?

What is the best fuel pump to use and where is the best mounting location?

Would I have to change my fuel line to 3/8"?

I know I have to change the oil pan and pick up. Also, going to have to look for a power steering bracket from a van. Anything else I'm missing?

Magnumswap has been very helpful!!!! Thanks FABO!!!
View attachment 1715343713

That looks like it’s gunna be a GREAT project GD5 !
Please be sure to post your future pics!

You will have to get a flywheel for a 318 Dodge Ram/dakota 5 speed. It will have the notches for the crank sensor.

You will have to get a flywheel for a 318 Dodge Ram/dakota 5 speed. It will have the notches for the crank sensor.
Is your donor truck manual? If not make sure you order a manual crank sensor. It is shorter than the auto one or you can shim it if your want. Cut the notch and your done.

Isn't the balance different between 5.2//5.9? Also, the crank may not be drilled AT ALL

Yes, good catch! Get a flywheel for a 5.9 magnum. :thumbsup:!!!
My cousin just completed a similar swap and he used a large bushing in the crank hub. Someone on here posted it before.

Yes, good catch! Get a flywheel for a 5.9 magnum. :thumbsup:!!!
My cousin just completed a similar swap and he used a large bushing in the crank hub. Someone on here posted it before.
Someone on Moparts has a 360 flywheel for sale cheap. You will need a bearing for your crank. Rockauto has nice pictures.

Someone on Moparts has a 360 flywheel for sale cheap. You will need a bearing for your crank. Rockauto has nice pictures.

It will need to be a 5.9 flywheel instead of an LA 360 flywheel. The balance is different. There are aftermarket 5.9 flywheels that fit the LA car type bellhousing, have the correct balance, and have the notches for the factory FI.

Thank you for all the replies!! I've decided to put a carburetor on it. But I did find the flywheel, with the notches, from American Powertrain part # FWCH-10004CS.

I'd keep the fuel injection if at all possible. Making the notch in the bellhousing won't weaken it enough to even worry about. You just need to figure out which 4 or 5 wires in the truck harness that are needed to make it run. If the truck is an automatic, I think you have to get one of the sensors for a stick shift truck so it doesn't stall out when you shift gears. TPS sensor maybe? When you figure out which wires in the harness you need to make it run.....let me know so I can make my 98 5.9 run in my 88 D100! :D There used to be a member here who had a Magnum swap business. I think he went out of business?

I'd keep the fuel injection if at all possible. Making the notch in the bellhousing won't weaken it enough to even worry about. You just need to figure out which 4 or 5 wires in the truck harness that are needed to make it run. If the truck is an automatic, I think you have to get one of the sensors for a stick shift truck so it doesn't stall out when you shift gears. TPS sensor maybe? When you figure out which wires in the harness you need to make it run.....let me know so I can make my 98 5.9 run in my 88 D100! :D There used to be a member here who had a Magnum swap business. I think he went out of business?
I thought about keeping the FI but the engine has 160,000 so I’ I’ll probably do a rebuild in a couple of years and it won’t be a stock rebuild.... Good luck with your swap!!! There is a video on you tube of a Dart where the owner did a really nice swap with FI. I’ll try to find it and post it

-
Back