Stock oil pan and HV oil pump?

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
So I know that there are those that say a stock capacity oil pan and a HV oil pump can pump the pan dry when high rpms are used. But I was also told that this could never happen, so I dont know what to believe. Originally I had a moroso deep pan, and it was stupid to run on the street, it scraped on everything! not fun at all. Good oil capacity though.

I have a stock 360 pan, and am using the same HV oil pump this time. The car is really only a street car, probably 6K RPMs max and only occasionally for short periods. I am wanting to use this pan, I know milodon and kevko make other kicked out pans, but I already have this pan. I also am going to use a windage tray this time for better oil control.

Would I be able to run this combination? and would the windage tray help? Main issue here is ground clearance and budget, pan is a few hundred bucks that I could use somewhere else.

I run that combination with everything I built. From 273 screamers to HP 360's. I also always ran windage trays in everything. Never a problem.

My psi would bounce after a hi rpm run in my stock pan bb with a stock pump/ hi psi spring if half a quart low.

Think about it this way, a stock pan takes 5 qts, say close to 1 qt is in the filter at any given time and prob at least 1 more qt floating around the engine. That leaves approx. 3 qts in the pan, now you decide to run it through the gears. Would you feel safe doing it with 3 qts in the pan and a oil pump sucking like mad? Most engines don't need a HV pump and a lot of racers have stopped running them on a motor that's assembled properly, extra drag. The windage tray wont help to keep the pan from sucking dry, but is good to run. Just my 2 cents

You don't need the HV oil pump. Use a standard oil pump and a stock pan.
I have drained a stock pan with a HV pump BUT turned more RPM's than 6K.

You don't need the HV oil pump. Use a standard oil pump and a stock pan.
I have drained a stock pan with a HV pump BUT turned more RPM's than 6K.

I know I dont need it, but I already have it, so I kinda want to use it instead of buying a new one. I was also told I could run an extra half quart in the pan.

I know I dont need it, but I already have it, so I kinda want to use it instead of buying a new one. I was also told I could run an extra half quart in the pan.

I have one too. I will be buying a standard pump when mine goes together..

I've run HV pumps with HP springs on stock pans in daily drivers for years with over 500,000 accumulated miles....

You could get away with almost a quart over, but I wouldn't recommend it. Half quart is good insurance...

There are many good people on here who will try to help, in the end its your decision.

I guess I could just get a stock pump, but is there any benefit to running a hv pump? my bearing clearances in my case are 2.5 thou.

If I just run stock capacity plus a half quart with a regular oil pump will I be good? and why are HV pumps around if you dont need them then?

Oil viscosity is something I have not seen mentioned yet.
Thinner oil runs back to the pan faster.

Oil viscosity is something I have not seen mentioned yet.
Thinner oil runs back to the pan faster.

Forgot to mention that, I was running 15-40 before. Not too sure what I will run this time. Ill have to see where my hot oil pressure is, I want to have at least 25-30 at idle.

I have an HV pump on my 440 with stock pan and it's worked fine for the way you plan to drive it. I almost always take at least one bonzai run each time I take my car out and have never had an issue. I keep it at 6k or less. Have 90psi at start up and cruising. 60 at idle. When the oil gets old, 2000 miles, it drops to @40. My car tells me when it's time to change the oil before it's too late. I'm sure some think that's too high a pressure to run, but it works for me.

I guess I could just get a stock pump, but is there any benefit to running a hv pump? my bearing clearances in my case are 2.5 thou.

If I just run stock capacity plus a half quart with a regular oil pump will I be good? and why are HV pumps around if you dont need them then?

there is always someone willing to take your money .

I run HV pump street strip no issues. 5W30 full synthethic, most engine wear occurs at start up. Faster the oil gets to all the passages the better.

Oil flow through the engine is controlled by the bearing clearances, oil pressure and viscosity. The high volume pump cannot pump more oil through the engine than the standard pump unless you change one of those factors. A standard pump will pump more oil than a high volume pump if you run higher pressure than the high volume pump, until the engine really begins to wear out. The advantage of the high volume pump is that it can make up the necessary volume if the oil gets hot or the clearances begin to increase. I run a high volume pump in everything we build unless it is completely stock with tight stock clearances. You can lose a little horsepower with the high volume pump because of the oil pressure back against the greater surface area of the high volume pump rotors.

Another huge consideration is that with a stock pan oil can uncover the pickup on a hard take off. I discovered that with my old 360 as soon as I got it to hook up. My suggestion is to run a deeper pan like the Kevko or Milodon that has decent ground clearance and oil baffles to keep the oil where it should be. Starving the engine for oil on take off is just as bad as sucking a pan dry

Another thing, IMO there's no benefit of having 30+ psi oil pressure at idle. I've ran the crap out of some engines that barely had 10 psi at idle and they lived a very long life. IMO 20-25 psi at idle is more than enough. Remember that the higher the pressure is the more you heat the oil up and thin it out

Another huge consideration is that with a stock pan oil can uncover the pickup on a hard take off. I discovered that with my old 360 as soon as I got it to hook up. My suggestion is to run a deeper pan like the Kevko or Milodon that has decent ground clearance and oil baffles to keep the oil where it should be. Starving the engine for oil on take off is just as bad as sucking a pan dry

Another thing, IMO there's no benefit of having 30+ psi oil pressure at idle. I've ran the crap out of some engines that barely had 10 psi at idle and they lived a very long life. IMO 20-25 psi at idle is more than enough. Remember that the higher the pressure is the more you heat the oil up and thin it out

I was thinking about that as well, but could I just weld in some baffles or something? I was looking at a kevco pan, they have good ground clearance and a crank scraper, but I don't think it'll be very easy to get here, or cheap. I was also looking at milodon pans and the one I was looking at didn't have room for a windage tray.

And one reason I want oil pressure is because I am running a solid roller camshaft, my lifters have pressure oiling, but still want as much oil to them as I can.

I was thinking about that as well, but could I just weld in some baffles or something? I was looking at a kevco pan, they have good ground clearance and a crank scraper, but I don't think it'll be very easy to get here, or cheap. I was also looking at milodon pans and the one I was looking at didn't have room for a windage tray.

And one reason I want oil pressure is because I am running a solid roller camshaft, my lifters have pressure oiling, but still want as much oil to them as I can.

Don't for get to put the lifter bleed holes up when installing them...

What Milodon oil pan were you looking at? I (as well as a few other members on here) have the Milodon Road Race oil pan. I know most have a windage tray in their motors but I don't. I run a Stud girdle and a crank scraper teflon bladed up and down stroke. I stull could've fit a windage tray in it if I wanted. The Road Race pan has baffles, holds 6 quarts, sit about the k frame and has a bung for an oil temp sensor.
Oh, if you didn't know the member autoXcuda help design the oil pan.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-31590/overview/make/dodge

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-31595/overview/make/dodge

-
Back