Stock short block,440 builds....

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
The recent thread,by a good professional,got FABO locals ramped up. Seen a similar build,in a 74 Club Cab 4x4.Damn thing, laid rubber everywhere. (228/234 @.050 hyd flat tappet).
.Share your B/RB builds.....(stock short block)....

Here's one that I mentioned:
1971 non HP - rebuilt stock piston lower end with about 10K on it. ($600)
"516" heads, completely gone through - guides, 2.08/1.74 stainless valves, ported by me but not flowed. ($1600)
Crane H-302-2 hydraulic cam 242/252 @ .050, .508/.518 advertised ($300)
Factory used rockers and shafts ($0)
Port matched 6bbl iron intake, stock vacuum carbs, with E body shaker setup
1 3/4 headers
MSD 6al
It's been some years but as I recall it was around 10.8:1 static w/.045 or so quench.
Made 380hp at 5600, 423tq at 3200 at the tires. Ran 109mph in a 4300lbs E body.

Heres one to dwell upon aint put together yet but am planning on it soon dont know that it work or not am sure it'll need some 'tweakin'..have a early 71 440 steel crank shortblk with 8k on rebuild[stock bore etc] cast fact flatops no valve reliefs .040 in the hole,have a fresh set of 906's milled to 77cc ported 2.14-1.81 valves comp springs i think 924's...rpm intake,comp xe solid 290..540-558-252-260..2" fenderwells lupo convert 3.91 or 4.30 gears etc..would like to run pump gas which is 87-91 here...tires are 29.5x15.5x15 mt spt pro..71 dart.. 930cfm dp holley..electronic ignition etc..want it to be streetable and driven legally...yes i know i need to lose some compression so a .060 head gasket will be used,and I can have valve reliefs cut into the pistons for 100bucs but dont know if that will be enough reduction in comp to work on pump gas...may have to change cam to smaller but would rather not, heads are almost closed chamber so I dont know about quench and all...any ideas?

The one I have on the stand waiting to go in is out of a 77 C body. Cast crank .Original pistons about .140 in the hole. 452 heads milled .025 with a mild bowl blend. Steel shim head gaskets. Should be right about 8:1.
It has the old 284 cam installed +4 with Crane singles and Comp locks, retainers, and pushrods. I used the best 16 rockers from about 4 sets. Std oil pump with a 187 pan.
It is topped with an original Torker and 750 dp. The car has 2" Pro Parts headers.
It's not ideal by any means, but I'm sure it will get me to work and have fun doing it.

Hey Tim thanks for calling me on my combo issue..needed some other mopar input to push me to get er done...

Heres one..83 dodge shtbd trk..slant 6 4spd od 3.21 single trac...dog...ripped out motor/trans/rear-end....installed 3.55 9 1/4 sg rear..in went the little 440.. 727 trans with transgo shift kit,2400 vert,steel crank motor with .030 trw slugs[flatop .140 in hole] stock 452's with better springs no porting stock valves,milled heads about.015...steel shim head gaskets...installed a comp 268H..454-268..218@ .050...shortblk was balanced,rods resized,arp bolts,windage tray,hp oil pump,installed a skip white hei style self contained dist so no computer/brainbox or wiring to contend with[just plug and play] new 750 edelbrock carb on a performer intake..and headers...all this for a young customer...ran like a bat outta hell for 10 days...had to go pick it up for he had ripped the driveline out of it so a new drive shaft and rearend yoke he was back in business..also had to upgrade cooling system,alum rad and shroud...trk was dangerous with all the stock /6 suspension which since has been upgraded...biggest pitha was relocating the brake booster to clear driver side valve cover and the headers[he brought me b-body headers 1st time and I got them in there with a bfh and a torch but I would not...I repeat would not recommend anything but trk headers...will save you a bunch of time and cussing..since installed correct headers was piece of cake]...All in all the trk turned out sweet and he claims he kicks mustangs butts regularly..it is fast n fun to drive...has ps,pb,and a/c functioning,drives it everyday and alot on weekends..says he gets 10-11 mpg on pump gas..[think compression was 8-1 give or take] winds like a smblk so I keep waiting for that phone call that he blew it up but thats been 3+ yrs so I guess it's still going....also had to change oil pan and motor mounts to trk style,dipstick....sure I'm forgeting something...was fun to drive tho...was a torqing beast tire ripping monster for a trk...prob high 13's if it hooked just guessing

Low mile 72 400. Ported the 452 heads, used stainless MP valves, used circle track motor springs. Used extreme energy 294 hyd cam. RPM intake, headers, reworked stock distributor. 11.80s in a 68 Road Runner.

The recent thread,by a good professional,got FABO locals ramped up. Seen a similar build,in a 74 Club Cab 4x4.Damn thing, laid rubber everywhere. (228/234 @.050 hyd flat tappet).
.Share your B/RB builds.....(stock short block)....

69HP block, crank, rods 500hp@5700/545ft/lbs@3900-4100.

Studded bottom end, full grooved bearings

Beam polished rods, ARP wavelocs, shotpeened

Solid cam, 242@.050 .557 lift 112 centerline installed 110

Victor intake, HVH super sucker 950 HP carb

Harland Sharp rockers

Eddy RPm ported heads

MSD igition, MSD Dizzy. 20/36 timing No vac advance

Sure there is more out there...come on guys we need more reading material...I know theres some secret build lurking,hiding that we need to know about....

read as "I'm broke - but motivated". Least that's what it means for my situation...lol.

high volume oil pump,restricted oil galleys,with a 95 thousand drill bit,mill heads utell you're just nipping the valves,cut intake to match (the intake will only be good for that set of heads)gasket match and do sum bowl work heads and intake we used a TM7 i'm not sure if they still make them.If not depending what your doing with it whether its going to be a stump puller or a drag/street car.along with a well tuned 780 vac.carb.and a 509 DC cam.that and a stock 340 converter good trans 456 gears and used or take of front sprint car tires(and don't forget to put at least 5 screws in them) on police wheels.and run 10:70s all day long shiting at 5500 will last forever. and drive it home!!with pump gas!!have done three this way and one is still out there running the other two went on to bigger motors...these can be done kwik cheap and sell very fast.!!!hope this is a help???.....Artie

high volume oil pump,restricted oil galleys,with a 95 thousand drill bit,mill heads utell you're just nipping the valves,cut intake to match (the intake will only be good for that set of heads)gasket match and do sum bowl work heads and intake we used a TM7 i'm not sure if they still make them.If not depending what your doing with it whether its going to be a stump puller or a drag/street car.along with a well tuned 780 vac.carb.and a 509 DC cam.that and a stock 340 converter good trans 456 gears and used or take of front sprint car tires(and don't forget to put at least 5 screws in them) on police wheels.and run 10:70s all day long shiting at 5500 will last forever. and drive it home!!with pump gas!!have done three this way and one is still out there running the other two went on to bigger motors...these can be done kwik cheap and sell very fast.!!!hope this is a help???.....Artie
In a 4000lb trk???thats flat out amazing,like to see a pic of the heads milled that far,and what pushrod did you use,adjustables or stock rockers? what was final comp ratio and how far was piston in the hole? was it a reworked convertor?I have seen cars run in the hi 10's with a 509 cam and 780 vs carb,4.56's etc but they were Lightweight 2890 lbs and less with good susp,good convertor, slicks,better than pump gas,everything just right.. etc...I think he's talking about a heavy trk and a daily driver prob pushing 4k lbs. and they dont hook very well so spill the beans on how its done on pump gas we want to know...you are talking 10.70's qtr mile right? I'm seriously not being a wise *** so dont take it that way..whats the secret?

rbd, are you maybe getting this "stock short block recipes" thread confused with my 4k# truck "Getting the most out of a low comp 440" thread?

In a 4000lb trk???thats flat out amazing,like to see a pic of the heads milled that far,and what pushrod did you use,adjustables or stock rockers? what was final comp ratio and how far was piston in the hole? was it a reworked convertor?I have seen cars run in the hi 10's with a 509 cam and 780 vs carb,4.56's etc but they were Lightweight 2890 lbs and less with good susp,good convertor, slicks,better than pump gas,everything just right.. etc...I think he's talking about a heavy trk and a daily driver prob pushing 4k lbs. and they dont hook very well so spill the beans on how its done on pump gas we want to know...you are talking 10.70's qtr mile right? I'm seriously not being a wise *** so dont take it that way..whats the secret?
wow yes on stock pushrod I put washers under the shafts can't remember thickness just a regular washer grade cheap haha,stock rockers,don't remember how far in the hole.. I remember using a tape measure too far down to get the calipers out compretition wouldn't have a clue stock converter out of a 340 dart with over 100.000 the car if I remember was 3550 with me in it..and yes the car worked very well with stock 340 springs under it with the bands taken of behind the wheels.and yes 1/4 mil.well the rule of thumb has always been to my knowing 1 10th.for every 100 pounds.or 1 sec for every 1000 im sure it will be a lot different with a truck and or 4 wheel drive that I wouldn't have a clue of hope this helps and yes the bottom ends were untouched most with over 100.000 miles on them.and they ranged from 66 blocks to 78 mtor home blocks the slowest one was 11;57s and im know the year and competition had allot to do with it...hop this is a help!!!???? Artie

I have done this to many times to remember and with new pumps and old ones if you use a stock pump pull the spring out and ether stretch it or put a high volume spring in it.I have used pumps so week the lights would flicker.and if you do either I would put a deeper pan on yes homemade cheap!and to do that I use a drive shaft and have made many of them for dirt racers big and small blocks and until 440 source started selling them so cheap (under 100.00 bucks) thats all I and two of my buddies have run!!and if you want I'll tell you how to do the pans and everyone will think its a high dollar one:cheers:.....thanks for reading Artie

I was reading over this one again, and I think rbdart's build for the '83 shortbed above is real close to what I'm shooting for.

rbd, are you maybe getting this "stock short block recipes" thread confused with my 4k# truck "Getting the most out of a low comp 440" thread?
Yes you are right i did think godfatha was talking about a dd trk so for that I repent...I'm old and forgot to eat my blueberries this morning so I was freakin myself out about how the fudge he could pull that off..thought maybe he had some secret hemi seat covers or something..lol...still think he's up to something so we better watch him...lmao...now wheres my cheetos

Yes you are right i did think godfatha was talking about a dd trk so for that I repent...I'm old and forgot to eat my blueberries this morning so I was freakin myself out about how the fudge he could pull that off..thought maybe he had some secret hemi seat covers or something..lol...still think he's up to something so we better watch him...lmao...now wheres my cheetos
DAMN sorry about that:-?:-? I'll keep Quiet:violent1::violent1:

DAMN sorry about that:-?:-? I'll keep Quiet:violent1::violent1:
..You keep quiet???? that'd be like a hemi dart with open headers going to sunday school and trying to 'sneak in' unnoticed...lmao...no need for apology I'm the one who's getting senile and unruly...why just yesterday i rolled up on the mailman at my mailbox in my wheelchair and cracked him in the head with my cane for being late with my magazines and realized I got a post office box and I was in the wrong town...after a trip in the shortbus I was reunited with my wife..so stressed out..lol...just joking I can still walk and I dont have a cane and my wife thinks none of this is funny..so now I'm in trouble...now where was I....?

..You keep quiet???? that'd be like a hemi dart with open headers going to sunday school and trying to 'sneak in' unnoticed...lmao...no need for apology I'm the one who's getting senile and unruly...why just yesterday i rolled up on the mailman at my mailbox in my wheelchair and cracked him in the head with my cane for being late with my magazines and realized I got a post office box and I was in the wrong town...after a trip in the shortbus I was reunited with my wife..so stressed out..lol...just joking I can still walk and I dont have a cane and my wife thinks none of this is funny..so now I'm in trouble...now where was I....?
you are a funny man!!!and my snacking day are over when I enter the room they know I have arrived haha,,cuz im not stable enough to get surprised.and the only open headers sounds I make any more comes out behind me!!lol!!!!and my mail lady brings mine to the door now pretty little thing built like a you know what and I tell her every time she comes in sum times for coffee I tell her If I was 10yrs. younger she or I would be in trouble she says that wouldn't happen..and added to let her know if my glans ever got activated I said when I hear a good sounding motor on here I can feel a little life left in mr.johnson:eek:ops:she said wen im sure of that she said she makes good motor sounds:cheers::cheers:OH my I can feel it happening again thinking about it and shes already been here!!!!!!!!!DAMMIT!!and talk about remembering well Im lucky I can remember what I had for lunch yesterday and I kive in trouble every one here knows that,,,but you right well be silent wen I die then you all will have my boy to put up with and I know he wont back down ether thanks old buddy for reading!!!!!!!!!:coffee2::coffee2:

-
Back