Stock slant/hard start

-

Hendo

Reaction score
Hello all, right to business i guess.
I bought a 75 dart with th 225 slant this summer and its been a hard starter. Meaning 6 pumps of th pedal starts and then requires a few more,it dies out when i give it gas while driving.
Once i drive for awhile seems to be ok...
I've replaced the choke therm. And pull-off.
Now on the air cleaner is says" to carb" but no line,could this b the issue? Is there a link with the schem. As well it has a carter 2 barrel...is this the right carb? When i look 4 parts they r for a holley.
Any help would be appreciated

20180926_164959.jpg

carter 2bbl would be a super six. check choke operation and accelerator pump functionality. Should light off in under 1 revolution with a proper choke and carb with just one pump to set the choke and no more.

should not have to do the "war dance" on the firewall to start cold. It should be just one depression of gas pedal to set the choke/fast idle linkage and supply the little splash of gas to prime the engine.

You may also want to check the float level. Even the slightest mis-adjustment will give you fits.

I did notice the carb sweating, will do a good cleaning next and replace gaskets.
I am more interested in if anyone has a pik of where all the vacuum lines should be or specs on setting the carb

Thanks for th responses

Honestly check the stupid timing. Mine was retarded 4degrees and it fixed so many issues with that engine I literally loved my car all over again. I mean the engine is rebuilt, head work is good run 91 due to the seats and it was still a dog (i know its just a six pack). I didn’t think nothing of it until the gas/air probs, dying after heating up etc. anyway check that and give it some advance if needed not a lot cause they dont like it. Trans blew before i could enjoy it and im looking for an exhaust manifold cause mine leaks and is the only thing i cant stand. but other than that even with the “dont buy it” rebuilt trash carb it was pulling nice. I also took out the slack from the accelerator messed with the linkage and basically left it it really touchy and added a shortened spring to the carb so it goes back to idle quick. I wanted it really responsive.

Hope this helps. Check for vac leaks, retighten all exh/int bolts, get the remflex gasket, I installed the red Edelbrock gas pump externally to my gas tank, that helped or just drop a 383/727/8.75 n thatll clear that up too.

Il post a pic when i can of my junk. Nice dart

-
Back