stolen 8 3/4 third member

-

Dr John OConnor PhD

Pimp juice a Hemi's best friend
Reaction score
someone in the ups store number 5252 in st louis MO STOLE my 8 3/4 third member with eaton/ detroit posi and 3.90 gears now I have to go through the drudgery of UPS claims .So anyone in MO please keep an eye out for someone trying to sell it.

I feel your pain.

Where I work we ship cell phones from one employee to another.

Recently an employee received a shipment, inside was the oem box but the cell phone was not inside.

That is a lot of work to steal a $200.00 phone

I had a 489 3.23 Sg stolen while in UPS possession. It tracked to one location and never left. This was many years ago. I had to refund the buyers money while I went thru the claims process. But It wasn't to long, you just got to jump thru their hoops. But I did get paid.

I lost a 8.75 housing that was shortened, a set of adjustable pushrods, an intake and a camshaft that was delivered by USA customs to Canadian customs. And we’re accepted by them. Tracking stopped there. Multiple calls did nothing. I told the person at Customs that they had a thieving bastard working for them. They told me no way. I asked them to explain to me how the parts were tracked to them then nothing. I said they never vanished into thin air. They said they would investigate. Never heard nothing back. Crooked bastards. Kim

I lost a hone plate with the USPS and it was crated up and they broke the crate and tried to deliver the top only. How stupid are these postal workers to see that the bottom has the part and there only picking up the lid. Now there too f---g lazy to locate the plate. I will never send anything thru a government agency as incompetent as the P.O.. They actually lost me $250 between the postage and the price of the part.

Someone got my buyers Banks hi-flow housing for an HX-40 Turbocharger. Tracked it to St. Louis mail handling facility (turns out this place is like 5 city blocks long) and it actually left but the next friggin station it was NOT received...so I guess its still rolling around the back of some semi? It doesn't work that way: The mail is in little enclosed train cars that are hauled in and out of the transports, not free floating so the parcel was probably unloaded and during another sorting, it fell off the conveyor or "turret", broke out of the box and was rolling around. Someone found it but there was nothing on the part itself to say where or who so it get sent to a clearing house in Atlanta and then its auctioned off by the pallet if no one claims it. SO.....put your address or the buyers address inside the part as well as outside the box if possible.

I have to many storys about UPS I will never use them again, they have stolen so much money from me that I can not say, they are the worst and USPS is second. FedEx has been the best for me and I will use them till it changes.

I must disagree about using Fedex. I sent a semiautomatic pistol back to Ruger for some warranty work. I expressly paid for the package to be delivered to my door, with an adult signature required. The delivery driver forged my signature, misspelling my name, and left it on the front porch, in plain view of the elementary school kids who walk by to and from school. I had him on my ring. They denied everything, until I sent them footage and a photo of his fake signature. They claim they took care of things, but I don't trust them one bit.

Do you really think all these things are being stolen? To me it makes more sense that the labels were damaged or lost and they have no way to know where they are supposed to be shipped to. They probably have a fairly large number of packages that they can't deliver. Then they auction off the packages after a certain length of time...after the claims process is complete.

I have no doubt that things get stolen once in awhile but I think the vast majority of "lost" packages are due to damaged/lost shipping labels.

Totally agree with Burdar and Pishta!!!
In the past I remembered whenever something was "stolen" or went missing at work, unfortunately, the folk(s) blamed would be the custodians/janitors/administrative
No perfect carriers they all have their warts..

someone in the ups store number 5252 in st louis MO STOLE my 8 3/4 third member with eaton/ detroit posi and 3.90 gears now I have to go through the drudgery of UPS claims .So anyone in MO please keep an eye out for someone trying to sell it.
Just curious, how did you package such a heavy item and awkward item?

Had a food item ordered ups. Didn’t show by about 3 so looked up tracking online and it said “ damaged-refused delivery”. I called the facility, told them I never saw it and was told it was so bad the driver made the decision. Asked if I could drive down and see it and was told nope, it’s already in the dumpster. Hope they enjoyed it.

keep an eye on 'offer up' and facebook marketplace. Also, make sure to peruse other posi, tru track, .....basically ALL chunk ads as they may not know what they have. AND I would keep checking for awhile as many theives will post ad after they think its 'cooled down'.

Any identifying markers?

Last edited:
It probably fell out of the back of the truck. I was behind a ups truck the other day with the back door open. There were packages on the bumper and a big box teetering on the edge. I pull up next to him honked and pointed to the back of his truck. He looks at me like “what the heck do yo want” and just keeps going. I’m in a well marked company truck too. Oh well.

It probably fell out of the back of the truck. I was behind a ups truck the other day with the back door open. There were packages on the bumper and a big box teetering on the edge. I pull up next to him honked and pointed to the back of his truck. He looks at me like “what the heck do yo want” and just keeps going. I’m in a well marked company truck too. Oh well.
Years ago I followed a UPS truck (apperently 30 seconds behind him as I did not see it happen) into an apartment complex on my way to a job and the back slide up door must have been open as I saw 9 2 cubic foot cases of something in the street so I pulled over and put them all on the side of the building except 1 that I put in my truck (more on that in a minute)....After learning what they were ($$ Ipod Nanos!) I drove to the apple store down the street and gave them the one case I took (all that would fit) , told them what happened and asked them to tell the UPS driver when he came that the rest of these cases were back at the apartment complex stacked up by building 5 and gave them my cell number. I get a call about 15 minutes later and the guy was very nervous, desperately asking me to meet him back at the apartments to find those cases. We met up and he loaded all cases back onto truck and delivered them to the Apple store. I was half expecting maybe a lunch out of it from the driver but neither even offered anything but a half hearted 'thanks'. Wonder how he would have explained 9 cases of Nanos disappearing out of his truck? Reasoning behind taking one case was that the apts were full of college dorm students and if any saw APPLE on the cases, they would be gone in a heartbeat so I thought I could save at least one case.

Do you really think all these things are being stolen? To me it makes more sense that the labels were damaged or lost and they have no way to know where they are supposed to be shipped to. They probably have a fairly large number of packages that they can't deliver. Then they auction off the packages after a certain length of time...after the claims process is complete.

I have no doubt that things get stolen once in awhile but I think the vast majority of "lost" packages are due to damaged/lost shipping labels.
UPS investigation said box never made it to the earth city depot and the driver said he never picked up a 83 lb box from that store. It was never scanned in by the store. It did not fall out of a truck it never made it in the truck

I had some unabtainium 67-69 dart convertible brakets take over a month to drive by USPS I did all kinds of digging and talked to a lot of really nice people at actual post offices to try to find it.

After I put in a missing package claim I kept getting updates saying we have not found it yet. A month goes by and guess what shows up on my door step, yep the box with all parts inside.

For weeks after I got notifications that they were still looking for the package even thought the tracking info showed it delivered.

On another shipment for yet more unabtainium 67 gt rocker trim, it came from Canada attached to a 1x4 with 3 inches of padding all around. Oh ya and bent inhalf at about a 30 deg angle. I think someone was playing pro wrestling with it, or thought gee that odd shaped item could never need to be top loaded.

I shipped a polished tunnel ram for a BB chevy to Fla and it never made it.
I checked the tracking and it made it to the main shipping facility and tracking stopped there. Called FedEx and talked to a supervisor at that facility told them what it was and they found it, they said there wasn't a label on it. I gave them a tracking # and they printed a label and shipped it. It did make it to the destination.

I sold a 4 speed setup for a C Body and FedEx lost every piece of it. This was every single unique part from a 4 speed Fury except the gearbox. The box arrived, empty. Keep in mind, I had double box and very carefully packed it all, with labels on every piece. Just gone forever.

One of my best friends has worked at UPS 29 years. I've know him since grade school. He tells me countless stories of UPS malfeasance. The biggest internal theft? Jewelry. Small boxes, high value. There isn't a year that goes by he doesn't tell me a new story of someone grossly abusing a package or outright stealing it. UPS management looks at it all as a numbers game - they certainly don't want to spend more money preventing and punishing theft than they spend compensating for it. Think about it.

The industry as a whole is to blame. They all sort of realize that if they all suck more or less equally, it maintains that no shipper will gain any sort of edge over the rest. There's no need for collusion or secret after-dark meetings...they all just gravitate toward being sucky.

Can't imagine shippers knowing about oily, dirty 8.75 differentials or other auto parts and making the effort to steal.
I can see firearms, jewelry, guitars etc being stolen as they can be easily be fenced - but old greasy and heavy parts....
As the robot from Lost in Space used to say "This does not compute".

I have LOTS of experience dealing with UPS and their B.S. when it comes to claims. Here's what typically happens. You shipped a package that is not only heavy it's odd shaped. If you tried to put it in a box it probably got the crap beat out of it on their conveyor system , fell out and was sent to IDAHO to the "loss claims center" YES I said IDAHO??? They are too lazy and ignorant to see an empty box and a heavy piece laying on the floor and figure out they go together. The easy way out is just to push it to the side and send it to IDAHO. IF you call them and send them pictures of your "lost" item they may be able to locate it. Hopefully you paid for insurance if not they only cover $100 ? If you paid for insurance their other B.S. is they look at the rating of your box and may claim you didn't use a heavy enough rated box for your item. It's like dealing with an insurance company they have a million reasons NOT to pay your claim. Personally when shipping 3rd members I use a 5 gallon bucket and drill and zip tie the lid on so it won't come open. I've probably shipped over a dozen without issues. GOOD LUCK

I should add that the UPS has an internal policy that applies to all lost/damaged claims. Do you know what the #1 step is? Deny the claim. That's right, without reviewing anything they are instructed to deny the claim. Only if the shipper protests the claim rejection will they begin to consider it.

That puts the burden on the shipper to put up a fight. Think of all the 'normal' people who don't have the time or will to fight...they're screwed. Case closed.

-
Back