Stop in for a drink.

-
Long day. Feelin a little fuzzzy after one of these... Think I'll have an Octoberfest do lower my blood alcohol. LOL

28e71aba-40ee-47bc-9b3c-dea310c850ef-jpeg.jpg

Long day. Feelin a little fuzzzy after one of these... Think I'll have an Octoberfest do lower my blood alcohol. LOL

View attachment 1715817060
Don’t do it! You just can’t back up after an imperial Stout! They are yummy. Just sip next one nice and slow and savor that thick creamy flavor! They are the best!

Don’t do it! You just can’t back up after an imperial Stout! They are yummy. Just sip next one nice and slow and savor that thick creamy flavor! They are the best!
LOL I won't open another of those tonight. Would probably be passed out before I finished.. And wasting something that good would be criminal! I do have some pretty full bodied , tasty Octoberfests that I think will bridge the gap. (don't tell Karl I said 'gap' ) :rofl:

Ted and I had "Tasting with Travis" Last night. Damn, we tried a bunch of nice Irish Whisky's that Trav bought on his last trip south of here. We followed up with a side-by side of 2 different 115 proof Yellowstone barrel picks and then a couple sips of Stagg Jr. Great spirits conversation and munchies!

20211109_191710.jpg

20211109_191745.jpg

20211109_191755.jpg

20211109_201248.jpg

20211109_203628.jpg

20211109_203703.jpg

20211109_210836.jpg

Last edited:
Damn what a afternoon. Waleed, the owner of Conoco North (our honey hole for spirits) invited Ted and I to his Marshalltown store (40 min south) to check a couple barrel pics he just got in. One was a Ezra Brooks cask strength (120 proof) That noses sweet, turns to a bit of caramel and flares to a nice warming rye spice on the palate. It has a nice smoky oak mid palate and a long lingering finish that is sweet and a bit spicy. Don't waste anything, go back to the nose because by now it has changed. Now it has a crisp apple nose. (it has been 20 min. now.) It is still bold on the palate but not in a bad way. It drinks like a 100 proofer. Next sip, still a bold rye/ethanol taste but sweeter this time. It still has the spice flare down the side of my tongue. Some from the rye and I am sure some from the alcohol. It is a bold bourbon for those of you that like that. Good for a sip by the fire or while watchin a movie.

20211110_185842.jpg

20211110_185901.jpg

Damn what a afternoon. Waleed, the owner of Conoco North (our honey hole for spirits) invited Ted and I to his Marshalltown store (40 min south) to check a couple barrel pics he just got in. One was a Ezra Brooks cask strength (120 proof) That noses sweet, turns to a bit of caramel and flares to a nice warming rye spice on the palate. It has a nice smoky oak mid palate and a long lingering finish that is sweet and a bit spicy. Don't waste anything, go back to the nose because by now it has changed. Now it has a crisp apple nose. (it has been 20 min. now.) It is still bold on the palate but not in a bad way. It drinks like a 100 proofer. Next sip, still a bold rye/ethanol taste but sweeter this time. It still has the spice flare down the side of my tongue. Some from the rye and I am sure some from the alcohol. It is a bold bourbon for those of you that like that. Good for a sip by the fire or while watchin a movie.

View attachment 1715818431

View attachment 1715818432
Oh I forgot to tell you, I took home the barrel too.

MBWS Ezra Brooks barrel pick..jpg

I have not looked recently, but at 1 time the local community college had a wine grape program among it's classes.
Just to south a bit it included a sizeable vineyard they over saw. Their curriculum was probably limited to just grape production, but ya just never know :D.

I have not looked recently, but at 1 time the local community college had a wine grape program among it's classes.
Just to south a bit it included a sizeable vineyard they over saw. Their curriculum was probably limited to just grape production, but ya just never know :D.
Bourbon barrels can't be reused for bourbon. They can be reused to finish whiskey or other spirits.

We got to tast test 2 barrel picks as well. One bourbon, one rye. The ones we chose were delicious.

20211110_150918.jpg

20211110_151109.jpg

20211110_152106.jpg

20211110_155019.jpg

20211110_155118.jpg

20211110_155125.jpg

I read on the Iowa Whiskey Chasers site on Facebook that a grocery store barrel pick just arrived. It was Buffalo Trace and you have to love the possibilities. Well in typical BT flare and fashion, it is still a $30 bottom shelf, entry level bottle no matter what amount of hype and lipstick you put on it. We were able to taste it in the store but we only left with a bottle apiece. If it was exceptional I was prepared to buy a case. Yep 12 bottles. Nope. What was the most fun is we each bought a airplane bottle of Wild Turkey 101 that we sipped on the way home. Damn good sip and better than the BT barrel pick we drove 90 miles to get. A little Turkey with a friend beats a Bogus Buffalo any day!.

20211111_192150.jpg

20211111_192145.jpg

20211111_164237.jpg

Ted and I on another adventure tonight. Over to Cedar Falls to samples at Hoppys Liquor. 7 or 8 small sips and down to Ari'z for a couple. We have another whiskey tasting gig going. Then home for tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

20211112_181122.jpg

20211112_175412.jpg

Plan's being made. Tomorrow afternoon Ted and I are making a run south to Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, and Swisher. I have a Clover barrel pick in IC to pick up. Heading north, we want to stop at Cedar Ridge to sample their new Double Barrel Bourbon and Bottled in Bond Rye. Then a bit further north to another Hy Vee Wine and spirits to sample Cedar Ridge Private Barrel 115 proof that is finished in peated barrels, and on our way out of town we may stop at Blairs Ferry Hy Vee and see Dave Johnson and get another bottle of Yellowstone 109 or 115 proof. I need to check what I have.

Dave Johnson store.jpg

Last edited:
Plan's being made. Tomorrow afternoon Ted and I are making a run south to Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, and Swisher. I have a Clover barrel pick in IC to pick up. Heading north, we want to stop at Cedar Ridge to sample their new Double Barrel Bourbon and Bottled in Bond Rye. Then a bit further north to another Hy Vee Wine and spirits to sample Cedar Ridge Private Barrel 115 proof that is finished in peated barrels, and on our way out of town we may stop at Blairs Ferry Hy Vee and see Dave Johnson and get another bottle of Yellowstone 109 or 155 proof. I need to check what I have.

View attachment 1715821709

That 155 and the eclipse Thursday night should go well together :lol:

-
Back