Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
We have a local person who for years (40) has done nothing but rebuilt alternators. The cost to do mine is $40.
I don't know the history of mine, and wonder if I should just get it done??
I know several people who have used this person and all were very happy with the service.
IMO If its working, leave it alone.
The only real wear items are the brushes. You can take a peek at them when you feel like it.

Note to self. Self, put spare master link in saddle bag.
Self, you knothead, you don't have a chain!
:BangHead:
Funny. I don't even carry a tire kit and pump anymore. Not for around the city.
Surprised me because this is planetary gear system. if you ever took apart a sturmey archer hub or equivalent you'ld think those little teeth will never survive. Me busting a chain is really surprising. it's not like I'm Greg lemond or lance Armstrong.

Funny. I don't even carry a tire kit and pump anymore. Not for around the city.
Surprised me because this is planetary gear system. if you ever took apart a sturmey archer hub or equivalent you'ld think those little teeth will never survive. Me busting a chain is really surprising. it's not like I'm Greg lemond or lance Armstrong.

I thought you were talkin' motorcicle :lol:

Only issue would be appearance. Rebuild is likely just functional - not a 'restoration' type service like Hoppy does on distributors
Unfortunately true. The rebuilder in Oreland that I tried a couple times sandblasted the housing and even bore a hole through the back. Somehow he thought it needed to be converted to an isolated field version. :BangHead:
So now the finish is incorrect and it has a hole in the back. As a restoration piece, its ruined. And since its dead now (rotor windings failed) it may only end up as a parts donor.

Can only put out what it was designed to do. I would see it more as insurance against untimely failure ( is there ever a good time?)
Matt has posted a bunch of stuff on alternators. Could probably give a bit more insight @Mattax
Strange. How come I dont get alerts when I'm called out? Maybe tommorrow?
@ZMan67S See what Ray thinks. @halifaxhops
As far as I can tell, it is possible to improve the output of the lower rated alternators.
The trick is finding someone who really knows these alternators on several levels.
From looking at the parts books numbers and such, it looks like the lower rated alternators had rotors and stators with less windings in them than higher rated versions.
They also might be able to better (custom) fit the rotor to stator so the magnetic field is closer to the stator - but not contact.
But you have to know what you're doing. More windings might need more current to get a good magentic field initiated. It also might need thinner wire, which in turn could fail sooner (heat issues).

There's at least one alternator restoration place that seems to know a lot - maybe they know the differences internally.

Did 67 'verts get a higher output alternator to begin with?

As far as I can tell, it is possible to improve the output of the lower rated alternators.
The trick is finding someone who really knows these alternators on several levels.
From looking at the parts books numbers and such, it looks like the lower rated alternators had rotors and stators with less windings in them than higher rated versions.
They also might be able to better (custom) fit the rotor to stator so the magnetic field is closer to the stator - but not contact.
But you have to know what you're doing. More windings might need more current to get a good magentic field initiated. It also might need thinner wire, which in turn could fail sooner (heat issues).

There's at least one alternator restoration place that seems to know a lot - maybe they know the differences internally.

I agree they could probably be modified for more output. I meant from a basic rebuild for $40, the best you get is back to original.

I had my alternator rebuilt by a guy I know for more output. Of course I do trust his work as his main company is electric motor repair. Charged me $30 to completely rebuild my alternator. I believe its 75 amps now.. Been a long time since it was rebuilt so cant quite recall.

I was just chillin with a 1/2 of cider. Thinking I'm going to lay low and mellow. I see some koolaid drinking out there, but not getting into it unless I get dragged in,
I've got 2/3rds cup of Captain and Orange sitting next to me. This past weekend was so cold and crappy I only had 1 beer the entire weekend so might as well have one after a crappy day of work.

Hot day here. Into the 80s. Back to the 50s tonight . Thankfully!
Almost opened a beer, went for cider instead. Super sour.

Hot day here. Into the 80s. Back to the 50s tonight . Thankfully!
Almost opened a beer, went for cider instead. Super sour.
It snowed here yesterday. Just a damn gloomy and cold weekend. By the end of the week its supposed to be into the mid 70's and I hope it stays there!

I was just chillin with a 1/2 of cider. Thinking I'm going to lay low and mellow. I see some koolaid drinking out there, but not getting into it unless I get dragged in,
I'm on lunch break at work. Having the usual - Water

What’s May 27th?

FAF57144-93D2-4CB7-BB96-6C8A772B3CD5.jpeg

IMO If its working, leave it alone.
The only real wear items are the brushes. You can take a peek at them when you feel like it.
After I fired it up today on a fresh battery I agree!!

-
Back