Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
There may be a way to test it with some sort of sonic tester that can measure volume, but it may not be affordable for the home mechanic...

I have a how to on measuring compression on any engine to see what your combo does... It's a simple and cheap method that can be done in any home garage...

How to Check Compression
"assembled engine" kinda tough to do on his engine...Being assembled and all:rofl:

We get hot dogs on Thursday when we go to the bank before work and Jay gives me gas money for car pooling... There's a Mickey's near the bank that has hot dog specials and three different varieties of hot dog...

The regular hot dog with beef and pork mixed, the Vienna all beef hot dogs, and the Vienna jumbo all beef hot dogs....

Tomorrow we are going to try the all beef jumbo Vienna's....

There may be a way to test it with some sort of sonic tester that can measure volume, but it may not be affordable for the home mechanic...

I have a how to on measuring compression on any engine to see what your combo does... It's a simple and cheap method that can be done in any home garage...

How to Check Compression

"assembled engine" kinda tough to do on his engine...Being assembled and all:rofl:

There may be a way to do it with either sonic testing or air, but it may be expensive for the home mechanic....

Put the engine at TDC and measure volume, then at BDC and measure volume... I would recommend using a piston dead stop tool to find true TDC, then reference it 180° for BDC....

We used sophisticated air testers at the engine plant to measure diameters and tight clearances...

I've never tried it, but I've always been told you divide the compression test PSI by 10 to get your ratio...

I've had stock 318's and 360's get 110 - 120 psi compression... There's no way that they were 11.0 - 12.0 compression.... :realcrazy:

Last edited:
Question for all you smart people out there.....

I've never tried it, but I've always been told you divide the compression test PSI by 10 to get your ratio...

Chris, next time someone directs a question to the "smart people", don't answer.... :BangHead:

The restriction "smart people" excludes you.... :poke: :lol:

Air pressure is 14.7 psi at sea level. Therefore, you divide the total measured pressure by 14.7 to get the absolute compression ratio.

147 psi would equal 10.1 compression ratio.

What about bad rings or valves??? They could affect the compression test...

Afternoon now. Lunch time.
Getting close to having battery and pump mounted,will be operational today. Then some yard cleanup and catch up on mowing. Will be nice to unload brush for sure.

Anyone know if an employer can legally force you to put an app on your personal phone?

Is there spyware in the app that can record your conversations and take pictures on your camera???

Watch this report for more detailed info....

Chris, next time someone directs a question to the "smart people", don't answer.... :BangHead:

The restriction "smart people" excludes you.... :poke: :lol:
Im smart too. I know better than to to try and answer a question i dont have a good answer for...

Im smart too. I know better than to to try and answer a question i dont have a good answer for...

Everyone has their moments. I know the absolute compression ratio calculations, but so many factors come into play when trying to figure out, dynamic or static compression ratio on an assembled engine. Cam overlap would play a huge role in it. You can bleed off a lot of compression with a cam with a lot of overlap. It really doesn't matter for what we were trying to do, just a question that made me think - it hurt a bit.

Yes, dynamic compression takes valve timing into account, static compression does not...
I think that's right.
What I was trying to say is the compression test pressures dont directly correlate to the high compression. For example an earlier exhaust valve opening will reduce the peak pressure from the 3 or 4 bumps.

Everyone has their moments. I know the absolute compression ratio calculations, but so many factors come into play when trying to figure out, dynamic or static compression ratio on an assembled engine. Cam overlap would play a huge role in it. You can bleed off a lot of compression with a cam with a lot of overlap. It really doesn't matter for what we were trying to do, just a question that made me think - it hurt a bit.
Another nice thing about factory engines - we can just go by the pressures for compression test that are in the FSM.

Minor progress.
Helmet now has visor instead of shield.
upload_2019-6-12_17-12-6.png
upload_2019-6-12_17-12-46.png

Be nice to get it painted white. Keep it a little cooler as well as little more 1960s looking...

Pump and battery all mounted up,box hoists and lowers as it should. Fenders,electrical, wheel bearings and brakes. Then paint.
Figure 5-6 days more work.

Decided to clean the brake dust off the inside of the rims before reinstalling. That might be a first. I can't recall the last time I did that...
upload_2019-6-12_17-15-55.png
upload_2019-6-12_17-16-57.png

Started on the tailpipe project. The muffler and tail pipe clamps came off easy. But its crimped to the muffler really well.
I'm not sure I want to keep going down this rabbit hole at this time.
upload_2019-6-12_17-24-0.png

If I have to cut it to remove it from the muffler and the other tailpipe has more fit issues - then it could tie up the car and the garage.
The other tailpipes don't look like they're made to clear the gas tank strap hangers. This one, even if it didn't hang low, is bent so to clear them.
If I can't remove either tailpipe without cutting them, probably put this project off 'til winter.
upload_2019-6-12_17-30-13.png

Today’s after work project...mulched the front shrub bed. My back is still hollering at me for doing the sod last night, but my wife bought the mulch today and it’s going to rain tonight and tomorrow so better to get it put down now...

2ABA3C14-B9EC-4C8A-8ECB-5D700CA604CD.jpeg

-
Back