Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Wow it's funny the stuff you find online:

I went looking for pictures of Mr Pepsodent, and found them on a page that said "Shaun's car in 1970". So I downloaded them and posted them here.

Then I looked at them again and noticed: Hey: That wasn't 1970; that was 1973!

How do I know? Well, in the first pic, that's Dave Allen's '64 Nova broke down on the street out front - It was always broke down - and that's ME lookin' under the hood.

How do I know it was me? 'Cause that's my '65 Chevelle next to Mr. Pepsodent under the plastic, and that was when I'd taken the 230 out and hadn't put the 283 in it yet, so that was 1973.

Hi hello Mr. PosiRon. Hope the summer was good to you and the winter is cozy.

You really should stop by more often, mr pepsodent sure is a mega cool blast from days no more.

Work getting done but slowly.

Forecast is no snow until mid december. Guess what, its snowing!!

I guess he did, saw a different post. :thumbsup:
I see he did.
thumbs_up-gif.gif

Maybe he can now load up that copy of MS Office '95 and use the spreadsheets. LOL

Looks like valve cover leak.
Well it passed the dollar bill test.
and PCV pull is good.
So its either the valve cover gasket or the intake isn't snug.
Presumable I'm done changing valve springs. I'll see if I can find the cork-n-rubber gasket set I bought as backup. Was hoping not to use it. I hate cleaning cork.

Chevy cruze. Junk. Buy it new and drive it straight to the scrapyard.
Rear wheel speed sensors both open circuit.
Tone rings are like a magnetic paper ring. the worst part is they are exposed to the elements.
crap gets in,whacks the sensor and tears off the tone ring. 100% Engineered to fail....

B034830E-25EB-4D02-AAFA-4079A20D9DBC.jpeg

7AD55A17-DC49-44E3-B8B1-DC58DA32279F.jpeg

FED7A018-BA3A-4BF7-A902-5B7618030751.jpeg

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet but you should NOT use stainless! It releases Chromium. I'm no chemist but I do know Chromium is not good for you.

I have now removed my post because I believe someone will come gunning for me using stainless steel. I will however, before the bullet ends my life remind people of their extensive use of stainless steel in everyday use, a lot of people even sit licking on stainless steel when they eat, myself included, and if you handle stainless steel a little the fingers will become dark. And this will happen without the stainless steel being down in a bath removing rust.

I have now instead bought a highly toxic compound that is fully legal to sell in California, and also legal to flush down the drain or wherever. This substance is far more toxic than the little chrome that might come off a stainless steel plate, but someone has said it is legal and approved it. Well, I can not pay anyone to get my stainless steel plates approved, so I thought it was best to delete the post. I guess it is worth adding to the story that it does not work well, so I probably have to do something else to remove the rust. The substance will then be down in the drain here. But that is legal.

It is beyond me what people stuff in themselves and don't say a word or complain, while other things are considered so dangerous that it can't be touched. Still people use it blindly even for food. Does people really realize that almost all the food we eat are prepared in stainless steel tanks of various sizes. And the food is slowly rubbing off chrome, nickel and whatever else is in it a little by little. And that is legal.
I am sorry, I don't understand much of mankind.
Does people also realize that food is commercially also prepared on plastic cutting boards that contains several times as much bacterias as cutting boards of wood which is illegal to use for food. Wood has naturally built in substances that kills bacterias. Still, someone has worked with authorities and told them to ban wood, and allow plastic. I am very little impressed with mankind.

Bill

Guatemala has passed a law banning plastic dishes, straws and utensiles. They have a replacement now that is made of corn starch and is 100% biodegradeable. Within a month or so of being in a landfill it has broken down.

Road test, successful repair. no abs light and it will drive past 5 mph.

I have now removed my post because I believe someone will come gunning for me using stainless steel. I will however, before the bullet ends my life remind people of their extensive use of stainless steel in everyday use, a lot of people even sit licking on stainless steel when they eat, myself included, and if you handle stainless steel a little the fingers will become dark. And this will happen without the stainless steel being down in a bath removing rust.

I have now instead bought a highly toxic compound that is fully legal to sell in California, and also legal to flush down the drain or wherever. This substance is far more toxic than the little chrome that might come off a stainless steel plate, but someone has said it is legal and approved it. Well, I can not pay anyone to get my stainless steel plates approved, so I thought it was best to delete the post. I guess it is worth adding to the story that it does not work well, so I probably have to do something else to remove the rust. The substance will then be down in the drain here. But that is legal.

It is beyond me what people stuff in themselves and don't say a word or complain, while other things are considered so dangerous that it can't be touched. Still people use it blindly even for food. Does people really realize that almost all the food we eat are prepared in stainless steel tanks of various sizes. And the food is slowly rubbing off chrome, nickel and whatever else is in it a little by little. And that is legal.
I am sorry, I don't understand much of mankind.
Does people also realize that food is commercially also prepared on plastic cutting boards that contains several times as much bacterias as cutting boards of wood which is illegal to use for food. Wood has naturally built in substances that kills bacterias. Still, someone has worked with authorities and told them to ban wood, and allow plastic. I am very little impressed with mankind.

Bill
Chromium in stainless steel is “stainless” because it quickly oxidizes to chromium dioxide which creates a protective barrier to further oxidation and therefore inhibits oxidation of the steel.

It is completely inert and non-toxic. We use stainless steel extensively in the pharmaceutical industry and it it completely approved for use in food preparation...in fact, it is preferred for both applications over any other material.

It is not an issue in the application of electro-cleaning as you proposed using it for. Any chromium released from the plate in the process will not become airborne as vapor and will react in solution to become the inert chromium dioxide form.

Further, chromium is a mineral that humans require in trace amounts. Chromium is known to enhance the action of insulin, a hormone critical to the metabolism and storage of carbohydrate, fat, and protein in the body

People often confuse trivalent (chromium 3+), which is biologically active and found in food, and hexavalent (chromium 6+), a toxic form that results from industrial pollution. This application will not create the toxic form since it does not produce the high levels of heat required to make it.

Last edited:
Guatemala has passed a law banning plastic dishes, straws and utensiles. They have a replacement now that is made of corn starch and is 100% biodegradeable. Within a month or so of being in a landfill it has broken down.

My one and only jury duty service was a federal lawsuit involving patent infringements on a corn starch based plastic. I didn't even know the technology existed at the time in the mid 90s. It was fascinating. To make matters better, federal jury duty pays quite handsomely :lol:. If that technology is in use in the US, it maintains a very low profile.

Chromium in stainless steel is “stainless” because it quickly oxidizes to chromium dioxide which creates a protective barrier to further oxidation and therefore inhibits oxidation of the steel.

It is completely inert and non-toxic. We use stainless steel extensively in the pharmaceutical industry and it it completely approved for use in food preparation...in fact, it is preferred for both applications over any other material.

It is not an issue in the application of electro-cleaning as you proposed using it for. Any chromium released from the plate in the process will not become airborne as vapor and will react in solution to become the inert chromium dioxide form.

Further, chromium is a mineral that humans require in trace amounts. Chromium is known to enhance the action of insulin, a hormone critical to the metabolism and storage of carbohydrate, fat, and protein in the body

People often confuse trivalent (chromium 3+), which is biologically active and found in food, and 2) hexavalent (chromium 6+), a toxic form that results from industrial pollution. This application will not create the toxic form since it does not produce the high levels of heat required to make it.

Yes I know, and thank you. It people does not realize that the way the current goes to remove rust, the process goes the way so it add things to the stainless steel plate, and not taking anything off it. And people often are a little hysterical when they hear certain words.

Bill

My one and only jury duty service was a federal lawsuit involving patent infringements on a corn starch based plastic. I didn't even know the technology existed at the time in the mid 90s. It was fascinating. To make matters better, federal jury duty pays quite handsomely :lol:. If that technology is in use in the US, it maintains a very low profile.
It is in the US and they just don’t make a big deal about it. We use plastics made using that technology all the time in my profession. In fact, some of the “green” disposable water bottles being sold currently use it too.

Case in point, the Dasani Plant Bottle uses 30% corn based plastic for their water bottles.

1263E2B8-1E64-4C64-B961-896A28740D8D.jpeg

It is in the US and they just don’t make a big deal about it. We use plastics made using that technology all the time in my profession. In fact, some of the “green” disposable water bottles being sold currently use it too.

Case in point, the Dasani Plant Bottle uses 30% corn based plastic for their water bottles.

View attachment 1715426195
Michelin uses that technology to make tires!
https://www.popsci.com/article/cars/michelin-invests-plant-based-tires/

View attachment 1715426195

I'll have to look for those products if the need should arise. It makes perfect sense to me in the right applications. Maybe they should make a bigger deal of it, if ya know what I mean.

I'll have to look for those products if the need should arise. It makes perfect sense to me in the right applications. Maybe they should make a bigger deal of it, if ya know what I mean.
Well. There is actually a good reason why they haven’t.

Consumer surveys showed them very quickly that using the technology and getting market acceptance faced two very large hurdles. The first was the “green” freaks that would immediately demand it would be used for everything (including those applications that it wasn’t suited for). The second was the “Doubters” that believed it was somehow an inferior product being forced on them by the green freaks.

They wisely chose a subtle approach that could get both sides to easily accept it as an improved alternative that was a “greener” choice.

Sometimes, the most effective revolution is the quiet one that people don’t even realize they are participating in.

th?id=OIP.jpg
th?id=OIP.jpg

Plastic covered rows for growing strawberries. Usually results in 1 or 2 10 wheel dump truck loads of poly sheeting off to the landfill per field of berries, sometimes 3 times per year in a good year. Compostable plastic anyone?

View attachment 1715426213View attachment 1715426214

Plastic covered rows for growing strawberries. Usually results in 1 or 2 10 wheel dump truck loads of poly sheeting off to the landfill per field of berries, sometimes 3 times per year in a good year. Compostable plastic anyone?
They are already in use and gaining market share for industrial applications like that.

Plastic Mulch for beds, gardens, vegetables. Natural, organic compostable plastic material breaks down -BIO 360 biodegradable plastic mulch.

Bioplastics (PLA) | World Centric

EcoFilm - High Quality Biodegradable Films & Bags | Cortec Corporation

Bio360 BIODEGRADABLE: 36" or 48" Wide. 4,000 Feet, 0.6 Mil Plastic Mulch
Biodegradable Mulch Film now complies with international biodegradation & environmental standards such as EN 13432 by Vincotte and ASTM D6400 by BPI, which guarantee complete biodegradation in soil w/out any toxic residues. Starts breaking approx. 4-5 mos on 0.6 mil and 5-6 mos on 0.8 mil. As the leading Biodegradable Mulch Film sold in North America, Bio360 completely and safely breaks down when tilled into the soil.
144D1A13-C7BA-4D93-AE35-DA2A84817785.jpeg

Bio360 is a mulch film made completely of Mater-Bi, a non genetically modified corn starch. It is Certified as Biodegradable and Compostable!! ** NO Residues and toxicities in the ground.

It just makes sense, especially in farming. They go to the trouble of using the plastic for weed control and moisture retention/water conservation. Go the extra step and use the expended material for fertilizer when it's lifespan has reached it's end. It always made me chuckle when the grape farmers used the rain birds in the middle of winter on potentially frosty nights. They don't mind icicles hanging off the bare dormant vines, but frost apparently had vile effects on those same vines. They have utilized drip irrigation to reduce their water consumption.

It just makes sense, especially in farming. They go to the trouble of using the plastic for weed control and moisture retention/water conservation. Go the extra step and use the expended material for fertilizer when it's lifespan has reached it's end. It always made me chuckle when the grape farmers used the rain birds in the middle of winter on potentially frosty nights. They don't mind icicles hanging off the bare dormant vines, but frost apparently had vile effects on those same vines. They have utilized drip irrigation to reduce their water consumption.
That’s because being encased in ice creates an insulating layer that keeps the plant cells from freezing. Frost however causes ice crystals to form inside the plant cells rupturing them and destroying the tissue. Citrus growers in Florida do the same thing.

-
Back