Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
When water freezes and turns into ice, it releases latent heat. Then, the ice that builds up on the plant will insulate it from the colder surrounding air temperatures. Because of this, some growers choose to spray their crop with water before the freeze occurs to insulate the plants and keep them safe from the cold.

I was young and ignorant when the old dairy farmer up the road educated me about that. ":wtf: are those grape farmers doing? We had an 1 1/2" of rain 2 days ago? Are they that crazy?" :rofl:

I have heard of olive growers doing the same thing.
There is one however that hooks a steam cleaner to his irrigation system when temps are set to be below 19*F for more than a day or 2. Raises the temp in his grove as a whole.

It is in the US and they just don’t make a big deal about it. We use plastics made using that technology all the time in my profession. In fact, some of the “green” disposable water bottles being sold currently use it too.

Case in point, the Dasani Plant Bottle uses 30% corn based plastic for their water bottles.

View attachment 1715426195
WATER!!!! I like water!!!!

I have heard of olive growers doing the same thing.
There is one however that hooks a steam cleaner to his irrigation system when temps are set to be below 19*F for more than a day or 2. Raises the temp in his grove as a whole.
Kinda like using smudge pots to heat the local air within a grove. Florida citrus growers will do that until temps get too low or winds are too high to retain the heat and they are forced to ice everything down.

Kinda like using smudge pots to heat the local air within a grove. Florida citrus growers will do that until temps get too low or winds are too high to retain the heat and they are forced to ice everything down.

That was my chore when I was a teen :lol:. Light the smudge pots at various locations around the portable concrete plant in the mornings. Had to get the one in the operator's shack first, that's where the old man's coffee pot resided :lol:. The water pumps and critical plumbing would wait. "Coffee First!" :rofl:

Bet you didn't know.

20191109_150517.jpg

20191109_150522.jpg

20191109_150525.jpg

There is a natural item that will go the same purpose... Straw
On a hobby farm maybe...not on a large industrial farm that tends several million strawberry plants every year and puts down dozens of miles of mulch sheeting. The cost of trying to use straw is prohibitive.

Im curious mitch, housing price wise, how does Vietnam compare to the US? I'm sure its less per sq ft than the US, just curious
They go by the square meter. But housing here is much less than America. The Land to buy is usually more than the money to build a nice house. Probably 1/4 to 1/3 of what a house costs in America. I think the house I have here , with the 5 bedrooms and the Pool, and security fencing and surveillance syst, would be 500K in America....

They go by the square meter. But housing here is much less than America. The Land to buy is usually more than the money to build a nice house. Probably 1/4 to 1/3 of what a house costs in America. I think the house I have here , with the 5 bedrooms and the Pool, and security fencing and surveillance syst, would be 500K in America....
Depending on where it was in the US, maybe even double that...or more.

You know as well as anyone that location drives price more than the structure and acreage do.

My house and land in Memphis is equivalent to my one in PA, but is worth less than half of the PA house and property.

Location, location, location.

Well, I'm out. Headed to a big Birthday Party, way out in the country/jungle. There will be plenty of food and Beer being consumed, before NOON!!!! They drink a lot of Beer here.

So my wife asked me if I wanted some lunch meat from the deli. I said yes I’d like some smoked ham, but I want it sliced very thin.

She ordered it at the counter and told them she wanted it thin. They asked how thin?

She said, I want it thin enough to read through.

I think they got it right...

:lol:

53E318BA-E498-41D3-95BA-1DA3CD33F66B.jpeg

So my wife asked me if I wanted some lunch meat from the deli. I said yes I’d like some smoked ham, but I want it sliced very thin.

She ordered it at the counter and told them she wanted it thin. They asked how thin?

She said, I want it thin enough to read through.

I think they got it right...

:lol:

View attachment 1715426316

For m that would be a low sodium slice of ham.

I have now removed my post because I believe someone will come gunning for me using stainless steel. I will however, before the bullet ends my life remind people of their extensive use of stainless steel in everyday use, a lot of people even sit licking on stainless steel when they eat, myself included, and if you handle stainless steel a little the fingers will become dark. And this will happen without the stainless steel being down in a bath removing rust.

I have now instead bought a highly toxic compound that is fully legal to sell in California, and also legal to flush down the drain or wherever. This substance is far more toxic than the little chrome that might come off a stainless steel plate, but someone has said it is legal and approved it. Well, I can not pay anyone to get my stainless steel plates approved, so I thought it was best to delete the post. I guess it is worth adding to the story that it does not work well, so I probably have to do something else to remove the rust. The substance will then be down in the drain here. But that is legal.

It is beyond me what people stuff in themselves and don't say a word or complain, while other things are considered so dangerous that it can't be touched. Still people use it blindly even for food. Does people really realize that almost all the food we eat are prepared in stainless steel tanks of various sizes. And the food is slowly rubbing off chrome, nickel and whatever else is in it a little by little. And that is legal.
I am sorry, I don't understand much of mankind.
Does people also realize that food is commercially also prepared on plastic cutting boards that contains several times as much bacterias as cutting boards of wood which is illegal to use for food. Wood has naturally built in substances that kills bacterias. Still, someone has worked with authorities and told them to ban wood, and allow plastic. I am very little impressed with mankind.

Bill
I feel I may have set you off, Bill. I apologize, that was not my intent. Dave set the record straight on the whole chromium issue. But don't weld it without PPE and good ventilation!
As far as plastic goes, They sure do contain a lot of stuff that affects us, most notably the hormone affecting substances used to soften plastics.
Electrolysis rust removal is pretty effective but you need to consider two things:
1. the current needs to be pretty high to get any sort of efficiency.
2. It works pretty much "line of sight", meaning that only the surfaces that are facing the sacrificial anode get efficiently de-rusted.
A very good method is to submerge the part in noe part molasses and five to ten parts water. It's slow but works really, really well and is pretty non-toxic. Stinks, tho.

Last edited:
On a hobby farm maybe...not on a large industrial farm that tends several million strawberry plants every year and puts down dozens of miles of mulch sheeting. The cost of trying to use straw is prohibitive.
Nature be damned, the cost is too high! This is exactly why we're in the mess we are. Not blaming you in any way, it's just the way it is.

I don't have to get up for work YAY!!!!

No commute, no looking at the asses in my office, no dealing with bosses ….at least for a day LOL

Lol tell us how you really feel.
I know what your talking about. I wanted to smack one of the guys I work opposite of.

-
Back