Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Good Morning Coffee Land. Hope everyone is doing well.

So, I have a 400 big block, ported/shaved closed chamber heads and 509 cam fresh, ready to go with nothing to put it in. Started thinking it would be better for my rat rod than the tired 472 Caddy engine. Also, was thinking a spd behind it may raise the fun factor, so I picked one up this weekend from a friend. Now to slowly gather parts.

It's Monaco Monday!

1974-dodge-monaco-the-blues-brothers-tim-mccullough.jpg

Good morning :D

Good Morning Coffee Land. Hope everyone is doing well.

So, I have a 400 big block, ported/shaved closed chamber heads and 509 cam fresh, ready to go with nothing to put it in. Started thinking it would be better for my rat rod than the tired 472 Caddy engine. Also, was thinking a spd behind it may raise the fun factor, so I picked one up this weekend from a friend. Now to slowly gather parts.

I dunno. 472" of Caddy in a hot rod that don't weigh but 2500 lbs sounds pretty Ratty to me :thumbsup:

F150 sometime today, runs like a bag.
Intake was done,but egr looks like a piece of crap,i want to block it before i get a new one. Need to prove its fooked.

Got my rear bumper pulled yesterday, mounts plus a piece from the license plate going to powdercoat. Next I think I'm going to drop the tank.

Tell you what I had a 500 caddy motor in a gremlin they are almost bullet proof, and now there are performance parts out there for them.

I dunno. 472" of Caddy in a hot rod that don't weigh but 2500 lbs sounds pretty Ratty to me :thumbsup:

It is fun for sure, but rather tired. I had plans for adding in a 500 crank then offset grind it for big block Chevy rods, then use Chevy pistons (all way better than stock and way cheaper) and that will take it to 541ci.

My dad still has my grandfathers 1973 Caddy, 472 big block. Running and driving, one owner, custom ordered in 1973. Rust free, 73,000 original miles. It’s so damn heavy, it needs all 472 cubes to move. Dad hasn’t driven it in YEARS. Probably should talk him into letting me take it out for a cruise

It is fun for sure, but rather tired. I had plans for adding in a 500 crank then offset grind it for big block Chevy rods, then use Chevy pistons (all way better than stock and way cheaper) and that will take it to 541ci.
What rat rod you got?

Shaping up to be a real cooker outside. Looking to get mid 90's and we pretty much always have high humidity, so feels like will be around 100... Not much rain in the forecast, but at least after today the temps stay in the 80's. Hope so, these 90's are splitting all my big tomatoes open long before they are ripe. :soapbox:

Last edited:
Couple pics of pulling my bumper. The damage in the frame rails didn't seem to worry the body shop guy, just said someone didn't know how to tie down the car, looks like prior owner stuck hooks in the holes and they split. A buddy of mine said he thinks the "frame" needs to be replaced. What do you guys think?

IMG_1148 (1).jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1135 (3).jpg

Couple pics of pulling my bumper. The damage in the frame rails didn't seem to worry the body shop guy, just said someone didn't know how to tie down the car, looks like prior owner stuck hooks in the holes and they split. A buddy of mine said he thinks the "frame" needs to be replaced. What do you guys think?

View attachment 1715568391

View attachment 1715568392

View attachment 1715568393

View attachment 1715568394

View attachment 1715568395

View attachment 1715568396
I'd at least patch it.

View attachment 1715568391

View attachment 1715568392

View attachment 1715568393

View attachment 1715568394

View attachment 1715568395

View attachment 1715568396
I would section it out and fabricate some new pieces to repair it. 1/8” flat stock. Not a lot of work, and base metal still looks fairly solid.

I would section it out and fabricate some new pieces to repair it. 1/8” flat stock. Not a lot of work, and base metal still looks fairly solid.

Thanks, sounds like a plan. I'll clean things up to make sure but yeah, I think it's solid under the scale.

Speaking of patches...
7C4D5BF2-001B-498C-A467-F9F2DF16EA87.jpeg
upside down sure makes welding easier,and got almost all the grinding done. Thats a big load off. Doing the bodywork is easy after i flip it back up.

-
Back