Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I think its wasted wednesday.
Waste the day, or maybe get wasted. Jury is still out on that. 3 minutes in shop and tripped on my hoist,almost fell flat on my face. Cranked my ankle again. Think thats 5 times this summer.
Wandering around wearing my glasses (readers) may be part of the problem.

No sharp objects for youuuuu

Hey, @ZMan67S you looking at that Baracuda they are parting out? If I remember your trunk torsion rods are weak, like most. You should see if the ones in the parts car are good, they look good in pictures, trunk is nice and high/open....

Posf150, egr valve is rotten. Guy put 3 screws in to hold it together. So no seal, vacuum leak equals egr passing fumes into intake.
I took screws out and found a spring that would go inside and keep pintle from lifting off its seat. Runs much better, but its still a piece of crap.

Hi everybody, my name is Andrea, I'm an italian living in Mexico, I hope this is the right place to ask some info.
Living here I realized there are some big opportunities related with classic cars, from old Mustang to the VW Beetle, plus, you can find very good quality/price labour to restore them, so you can have a very good final product for a very competitive price.
My question for the experts here is: what do I need to export a classic car from Mexico to the US?Just to understand if prices could still be competitive.
Thanks in advance to everybody will that will try to help me.

Hi everybody, my name is Andrea, I'm an italian living in Mexico, I hope this is the right place to ask some info.
Living here I realized there are some big opportunities related with classic cars, from old Mustang to the VW Beetle, plus, you can find very good quality/price labour to restore them, so you can have a very good final product for a very competitive price.
My question for the experts here is: what do I need to export a classic car from Mexico to the US?Just to understand if prices could still be competitive.

Welcome to FABO...
Welcome to FABO.gif

I can't help you with importing a car from Mexico because I've never done it...

However, this is more of a chat thread, you should post that in the General Forum or Mopar General Forum with the title "Importing a car" and you may get more responses...

This is more of a thread where we say Hi, help each other out, and give each other some crap.... You are welcome to stay in this thread and goof around with the rest of us... We have another female in this thread that puts up with us and gives us crap also, so you won't be the only woman in this thread...

Click on this link to get into the General Forum so you can make a thread about importing cars...

General Discussion

Mexico has some nice unique models of Mopars that weren't available here... I like them as they are different but similar to what we have...

There's a guy on our site that also lives in Mexico, I'll tag him to see if he can help you... @dibbons

There's a guy on our site that also lives in Mexico, I'll tag him to see if he can help you...

United States Customs Web Page Regarding Importation of classic/antique vehicle:
CBP Customer Service.

I don't know how to import vehicles to the United States and only know a little about importing from the United States to Mexico:

Last I checked the government import fee for antique/classic cars was 90% of the market value. However, there is a local man here in La Paz (originally from Mexico City) who has quite a collection and knows more than I do. He doesn't seem to have a problem finding and importing his vehicles so maybe he knows some tricks. There is also a local man originally from Oregon that has three Ford Model A's that he restored here. I used to see him at the local car shows, but we haven't had a show in awhile. I wonder how he does it? Again, this is from the United States, not to the United States.

For just restoring your USA vehicle in Mexico:
If you are in San Diego you could just drive across the border to Tijuana where there are all kinds of body shops, upholstery shops, etc. and have any work you want done and just drive in and out. That was before the virus restrictions on border crossings, of course. In Tijuana back in the 1970's I had a complete interior done in black diamond-tuck (including dash, package shelf) for $150.00 USD. More recently I had my Dodge Dakota reupholstered and the windshield replaced in Tijuana. Maybe from Texas you could do the same thing in Mexican border towns.

I drove my 3 classic Mopars here in La Paz from the United States with California license plates and I still drive them around here with current California tags without a problem. But Baja California Sur is a little different with respect to tourists and residents from the United States and Canada driving around with "foreign" license plates. The police don't seem to care as long as registration is current and matches the vehicle. I have six vehicles here in La Paz. I imported my Dakota to Mexico from Tijuana for about $900.00 USD in fees about ten years ago. The other five vehicles we drive (3 of which are classic Mopars) all have California registration/plates still.

There are some famous Mexican restorers that I have found on youtube who will do professional custom work probably at half the cost of a US facility. These guys are located in Guadalajara:

Last edited:
I think its wasted wednesday.
Waste the day, or maybe get wasted. Jury is still out on that. 3 minutes in shop and tripped on my hoist,almost fell flat on my face. Cranked my ankle again. Think thats 5 times this summer.
Wandering around wearing my glasses (readers) may be part of the problem.
Just an idea so you can get them up out of the way :rolleyes:

E7054919-59CA-4EDF-9968-F7061985DE28.jpeg

Thanks to everybody here, I'll open a new "importing a car" discussion; from what I found on internet, the main difference is between cars that are less than 25y.o. and cars that are more than 25 y.o., it seems that for oldest/classic cars everything it's more simple (at least I hope so), probably high import taxes are for the main market to defend the internal resellers/producers.

P.S. my name is Andrea but I'm a man, in italy we use it for men but I'm used to get confused with a woman because also here in Mexico is a female name

hey new people in the coffee shop! grab a seat anywhere, watch out for the little rascal that hops around in a green thong though:rofl:

Here's the reply from Dibbons...

United States Customs Web Page Regarding Importation of classic/antique vehicle:
CBP Customer Service.

I don't know how to import vehicles to the United States and only know a little about importing from the United States to Mexico:

Last I checked the government import fee for antique/classic cars was 90% of the market value. However, there is a local man here in La Paz (originally from Mexico City) who has quite a collection and knows more than I do. He doesn't seem to have a problem finding and importing his vehicles so maybe he knows some tricks. There is also a local man originally from Oregon that has three Ford Model A's that he restored here. I used to see him at the local car shows, but we haven't had a show in awhile. I wonder how he does it? Again, this is from the United States, not to the United States.

For just restoring your USA vehicle in Mexico:
If you are in San Diego you could just drive across the border to Tijuana where there are all kinds of body shops, upholstery shops, etc. and have any work you want done and just drive in and out. That was before the virus restrictions on border crossings, of course. In Tijuana back in the 1970's I had a complete interior done in black diamond-tuck (including dash, package shelf) for $150.00 USD. More recently I had my Dodge Dakota reupholstered and the windshield replaced in Tijuana. Maybe from Texas you could do the same thing in Mexican border towns.

I drove my 3 classic Mopars here in La Paz from the United States with California license plates and I still drive them around here with current California tags without a problem. But Baja California Sur is a little different with respect to tourists and residents from the United States and Canada driving around with "foreign" license plates. The police don't seem to care as long as registration is current and matches the vehicle. I have six vehicles here in La Paz. I imported my Dakota to Mexico from Tijuana for about $900.00 USD in fees about ten years ago. The other five vehicles we drive (3 of which are classic Mopars) all have California registration/plates still.

There are some famous Mexican restorers that I have found on youtube who will do professional custom work probably at half the cost of a US facility. These guys are located in Guadalajara:

Hey, @ZMan67S you looking at that Baracuda they are parting out? If I remember your trunk torsion rods are weak, like most. You should see if the ones in the parts car are good, they look good in pictures, trunk is nice and high/open....
I got it fixed. The tension bars or whatever their called run side to side rear of trunk. Mine weren't set right, they are now.

Went down today to help my 72 yr old painter take the trunk and hood off the car. Getting very close to paint. Door black is done. Probably within 6 days of paint. Lower temps and humidity here in the next few days.
IMG_20200729_121116.jpg
IMG_20200729_121123.jpg
IMG_20200729_121134.jpg
IMG_20200729_121216.jpg
IMG_20200729_121309.jpg
IMG_20200729_121302.jpg

Went down today to help my 72 yr old painter take the trunk and hood off the car. Getting very close to paint. Door black is done. Probably within 6 days of paint. Lower temps and humidity here in the next few days.
View attachment 1715569691 View attachment 1715569692 View attachment 1715569693 View attachment 1715569694 View attachment 1715569696 View attachment 1715569697
OMG,m your painting it black??? Wow, it has to be done right or it will look like, well, you know!! That so far is gorgeous....:thumbsup:

-
Back