Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Its a ford 460 1991 in an F-250

anyone know of any common vacuum leak problems and where to look ??
I assume it has a carburetor. If so, it is likely the carb/spacer gasket. Seems to be a common problem.

If not, it might be the fuel pump regulator vacuum line (but I think these were on later models).

(4 )1 1/2" thick pork loin chops from Sams, $5.45 on the smoker then reverse seared to finish. Sweet corn, cucumbers, and melon, all picked yesterday. Geez, no wonder I'm overweight. Lol
20180817_174511.jpg
20180817_194059.jpg
20180817_195050.jpg
20180817_202839.jpg
20180817_202834.jpg

I assume it has a carburetor. If so, it is likely the carb/spacer gasket. Seems to be a common problem.

If not, it might be the fuel pump regulator vacuum line (but I think these were on later models).

Its an EFI ...I sprayed the intake and upper plenum with carb cleaner looking for the leak but I didn't find anything there but huge problem is I didn't hear the vacuum leak when it was running in idle ... the leak comes and goes and I cant predict when it will show up

Its an EFI ...I sprayed the intake and upper plenum with carb cleaner looking for the leak but I didn't find anything there but huge problem is I didn't hear the vacuum leak when it was running in idle ... the leak comes and goes and I cant predict when it will show up
Check the fuel pump regulator vacuum line.

Its a ford 460 1991 in an F-250

anyone know of any common vacuum leak problems and where to look ??
Is fuel injected.
Dont recall what it has for an intake/plenum but it wouldnt suprise me if its leaking.
Also egr could be an issue.
Woukd need a better description of the trouble,rich/lean/hot/cold,you know give me something to think about.

I would refrain from using flammables to detect vacuum leaks. Water is effective too. I use a pressurized spray bottle.
I lit up an engine bay doing just what you were.
Lots of vapour,found its way to a leaking exhaust manifold gasket.
A bad plug wire would light it up too.

Is fuel injected.
Dont recall what it has for an intake/plenum but it wouldnt suprise me if its leaking.
Also egr could be an issue.
Woukd need a better description of the trouble,rich/lean/hot/cold,you know give me something to think about.

that is the whole problem it's intermittent, I can get on the highway and punch it RAAAAAA!!!! it runs like a beast and then the next time I step on the gas it will make a huge hisssssssssing sound and bog out. I drove it for two days with no leak and then it suddenly came back back today while on the highway

after it cools and is started again, its a 50/50 chance it will leak again

the other day it started leaking on start up and then a mile into the trip the leak stopped and all the power returned

Egr valve. Or brake booster.
Egr could have a lump of carbon floating around in it.

Egr valve. Or brake booster.
Egr could have a lump of carbon floating around in it.
I actually suspected the brake booster because I just changed the master cylinder ....(whole other story) but the brakes work great now.

How would I test the brake booster ?

when it runs without a vacuum leak with full power, I am actually starting to like a good big block Ford.

I can see that engine in a smaller car like a maverick or a fox body format.....talk about a rush.

Engine definitely has some power, and I am reading up that it is a kin motor to the 429. I am in discovery mode again and enjoying every minute of it

Engine off. Pump brakes to bleed off vacuum.
Hold pedal down,and start truck.
Pedal should drop 3/4” to 1” if its working.

Whew I think I dodged a bullet, stomach hurt so much (Crohns) I was about to call an ambulance, and was making deals with God if He would just let me get better on my own!! In between cussing non-stop, thats a pain you dont want to experience. With my Mom a recent widow, not a time to have her worried about me! That's my "little brother" I was all smiles Wed nite but that was the first and last time I am trying Korean food! At least it waited till I was back home.

IMG_1607.JPG

I actually suspected the brake booster because I just changed the master cylinder ....(whole other story) but the brakes work great now.

How would I test the brake booster ?
If you think there is a vacuum leak remove the vacuum line and see if the leak goes away.

when it runs without a vacuum leak with full power, I am actually starting to like a good big block Ford.

I can see that engine in a smaller car like a maverick or a fox body format.....talk about a rush.

Engine definitely has some power, and I am reading up that it is a kin motor to the 429. I am in discovery mode again and enjoying every minute of it
My son and I are building this 51 ford with a 460 in it,

13521971_1322269841121692_3806382213025391329_n.jpg

Those early 70s 460s had a boatload of torque, like 500@2800. I remember that because a friend of mine had a '64 2 door Comet wagon I was lusting after and the CHP was in their Mercury faze and those 460s were everywhere cheap :rofl:

I am about to start pulling my hair out.

I am wrestling with a vacuum leak problem.

Its an intermitten vacuum leak and when it leaks, the engine bogs out and doesn't shift properly and yet when it doesn't leak , there is a ton of power.

I have used carb cleaner to try to chase it, I have gone over vacuum routing diagrams, even isolated vacuum circuits and still cant find it.

It only seems to happen on the road is the real problem. I would ask FABO experts but its a non mopar vehicle ....AGGHHHH

Vacuum leaks suck....

-
Back