Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Truck governor?
Its built into the EGR valve itself. Put vacuum on it with a hand pump and I thought the valve was bad. But the vlave won't move unless there's some exhaust air flowing. I tried to recreate this with some shop air but it didn't work too well. Learned this all after I had bought a new one (which was an incorrect replacment) and was testing some other old ones I had. Someplace in the shop manual I stumbled across this fact.

IMG_3890.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG

If you can find a guy that does mopar I have a box of bad ones that I would like done.
One of the guys here at FABO sent his out and was happy. Put it was a plain jane basic type. Lemme look for his e-mail to me.

Always thought the opened by vac? We used to exhaust putty those bastards shut in the old days

Its built into the EGR valve itself. Put vacuum on it with a hand pump and I thought the valve was bad. But the vlave won't move unless there's some exhaust air flowing. I tried to recreate this with some shop air but it didn't work too well. Learned this all after I had bought a new one (which was an incorrect replacment) and was testing some other old ones I had. Someplace in the shop manual I stumbled across this fact.

View attachment 1715211891

View attachment 1715211892
Is it a Ford thing?

Is it a Ford thing?
Don't know. Mine's on an AMC.
Inside are two diaphrams instead of just one. My '84-5 FSM has the diagram but doesn't explain it. Just says to test it on the engine, which of course is near impossible on the V-8 has its all the way in the back requireing a dental mirror etc to see the damn thing move. I must have found the explaination in an early book or something...

IMG_8855.JPG

IMG_3897.JPG

Picked this up off of tempest the other day should be here Monday, it will sell fast at Carlisle like the other ones I brought there.
s-l1600.jpg

Don't know. Mine's on an AMC.
Inside are two diaphrams instead of just one. My '84-5 FSM has the diagram but doesn't explain it. Just says to test it on the engine, which of course is near impossible on the V-8 has its all the way in the back requireing a dental mirror etc to see the damn thing move. I must have found the explaination in an early book or something...

View attachment 1715211896
Sure that was fun!

Scoop the Loop car show last night with the kids. A few mopars. Actually almost as many mopars as Mustangs haha.

The yellow scamp belongs to our very own Kegan B and the blue Cuda next to it is his dads old drag cuda. Low deck stroker, my kids protecting their ears haha

There's also a very cherry 68 polara 4 door with a hot small block.

IMG_5230.JPG

IMG_5231.JPG

IMG_5233.JPG

IMG_5234.JPG

IMG_5236.JPG

IMG_5237.JPG

IMG_5238.JPG

IMG_5239.JPG

IMG_5240.JPG

Inside are two diaphrams instead of just one.
View attachment 1715211896
Found it. Here's how it works.
The vent in the middle of the main diaphram is normally open to atmosphere. So nothing moves even if there is vacuum from a constant pump in the upper chamber.
When there is exhaust pressure, the lower diaphram closes the vent. Maybe that double guarentees no EGR at idle. Seems redundent so must be another reason to have spent the extra money making it that way.

EGR-Working.jpg

Next time I'll try putting a hose over the nose and then pressurizing it with shop air that way.
Another tip from earlier book was phisically push the egr diaphrams open while idling. if rpms go down, at least we know its blocking the EGR at idle like it should. I did this once when I first got the jeep. That was easier than trying to watch for movement.

The adventure of the day will be. The rescue of a 1986 Jeep Comanche that has been trailered back from a friend's family ranch in Colorado. It was the ranch truck. No telling what condition it may be. Nice ride to Castaic and back coming up.

The adventure of the day will be. The rescue of a 1986 Jeep Comanche that has been trailered back from a friend's family ranch in Colorado. It was the ranch truck. No telling what condition it may be. Nice ride to Castaic and back coming up.
Sold my 90 Comanche recently....Loved that truck...Dont see em much anymore..
IMG_3038.JPG
IMG_3039.JPG
IMG_3041.JPG

-
Back