Stop in for a drink.

-
The instructions said to use the whole package but the yeast said it's good for many gallons. That's the one I am having a slow start with. It will go. It has plenty of sugar in it. I will do a starter if I have to to get her lit! LOL
Let it go on it’s own and see what happens. The knowledge gained is worth the experience...even if it fails.

I have been having a interesting conversation with the gal from Mr Beer about yeast starters. I have always had great luck with a starter but she says no that the yeast is too active that way. It stresses the cells. But the last instructions I read it said to use a whole envelope of their recommended yeast in a 2 gallon batch. The yeast packet said it is aggressive fermenting yeast and 1 packet will work with like 15 gallons. LOL I have 2 batches going right now and the one I started was active within a few hours. The one I didn't start is slow and lazy. Very little activity in 24 hours. :BangHead::BangHead:

I only do starters for liquid yeast. My understanding is that typical dry yeast packets has 200 billion cells and the way they are preserved and packaged allows the majority of the cells to stay viable for a much longer period of time. Starters for dry yeast aren't necessary for that reason. Liquid yeast is a different story to my knowledge. White labs and Wyeast packets are only 100 billion cells - many of which die off before they are ever pitched. Sure that still may be enough to ferment a 5 gal batch, but making a starter ensures the proper amount of viable cells, while waking them up and preparing them for action, so to speak. Under-pitching will stress the yeast much more than over-pitching. I almost always make starters for liquid yeast. Plus, the starter for this brown ale was actually harvested from a previous batch and has been in my fridge for 3 months. It's a kickass highly attenuating yeast strain called 'San Diego Super yeast.' I'm sure half of them are dead and need to be built back up, but I love the dry finish this yeast produces. Not exactly what most people would like for a brown ale, but we love it it our house. It almost aways finishes at 1.010 - 1.012.

What's your grain bill?

It's pretty much a Newcastle clone. The original Newcastle, not the new version brewed by Lagunitas.

2-row - 67%
flaked corn - 8%
carapils - 4%
crystal 20 - 5%
crystal 60 - 5%
crystal 80 - 2%
chocolate 350 - 3%
special B - 2%
dextrose - 4%

The instructions said to use the whole package but the yeast said it's good for many gallons. That's the one I am having a slow start with. It will go. It has plenty of sugar in it. I will do a starter if I have to to get her lit! LOL

It's quite possible that you got a bad packet. I wouldn't be afraid at all to re-pitch. It's only 5 bucks. Better than tossing out a whole batch of wort.

One thing I like about a starter is if it takes off you know it's good. If the batch doesn't take off then you need to look elsewhere for the problem. I get pretty lax at checking ph although our water is neutral every time I tested it. One thing I can't control much is ferment temp. I brew in the basement and the floor is cool and the utility room is warmer. Never really had an issue.

What temp did you pitch at? We ferment in a temp-control chest freezer now. Before we had that, it was tough to pitch at anything below 75-80. I've heard that pitching at too high a temp may stress the yeast and kill some of them off. But a 200 billion cell dry pouch should still have plenty for a 2-gal batch (many times over).

What temp did you pitch at? We ferment in a temp-control chest freezer now. Before we had that, it was tough to pitch at anything below 75-80. I've heard that pitching at too high a temp may stress the yeast and kill some of them off. But a 200 billion cell dry pouch should still have plenty for a 2-gal batch (many times over).
I was at a good 75°.

How do you run your freezer? A pid controller ?

I was at a good 75°.
You should be good to go. My money's on bad yeast if it doesn't start cranking soon.

How do you run your freezer? A pid controller ?

An inkbird itc-308 temp controller. You can get them for around $25 on ebay. Chest freezers are cheap on craigslist. I think I paid $40 for the one we use. A plus is that you can use it to store the beer at serving temp after it's brewed and kegged/bottled.

61rMYOLfsML._SX342_.jpg

I am starting to get some action. I read the yeast packet. 53-77° and I am at 73° I should be ok, just a slow ferment.

You guys are getting me interested in Whiskey, some sound good...

Slow in here tonight. The wife is asleep in the chair. She would kill me for saying that. Worse if I would snap a picture. No I won't. Lol

Scotchity scotch scotch scotch , scotch scotch. ...Inchmurrin single malt scotch at the benefit for the NICU hospital .
I’d post more pictures but I’ve had to get the permission form a few dozen nurses (docs and spouses) from the dance floor
My 12 year old niece lived her first months of her life in the NICU... 1 1/2 pounds of a child... six sticks of butter.... Cheers Maria!! And the Drs ,nurses, parents and families that stood with you

D2CF3DA1-14DA-442C-A364-4C02FA24A729.jpeg

DA1E64DD-B155-4951-8C12-4A5F2A6AF8A2.jpeg

Just poured Old Fashion #2... Fiddling with a new (used) handgun I picked up a few days ago. Something I wanted when I was a kid as I thought it just looked slick. I haven't seen one in years. A pretty clean nine shot 22 Mag High Standard Sentinel MK IV.

b6ZByOp.jpg

20190726_185527 (1).jpg
20190922_065438 (1).jpg
20190922_090338.jpg
20190922_084734.jpg
20190922_073241.jpg
Gonna drink a nice gin and tonic tonight. My son has this small 2 passenger plane and Sunday we flew from Minot North Dakota to Kalispell Montana 1400 mile round trip ate lunch with a good friend and came back home the same day. The exploded plastic is a sandwich we bought at the local gas station for breakfast and at 12,000 feet it gets bigger.
You only live a short time it seems and spending time with good friends and good family is priceless.
And I don't know but trying to fart and gas someone at over 9,000 feet doesn't work for me. lol

View attachment 1715398315 View attachment 1715398316 View attachment 1715398317 View attachment 1715398324 View attachment 1715398325 Gonna drink a nice gin and tonic tonight. My son has this small 2 passenger plane and Sunday we flew from Minot North Dakota to Kalispell Montana 1400 mile round trip ate lunch with a good friend and came back home the same day. The exploded plastic is a sandwich we bought at the local gas station for breakfast and at 12,000 feet it gets bigger.
You only live a short time it seems and spending time with good friends and good family is priceless.
And I don't know but trying to fart and gas someone at over 9,000 feet doesn't work for me. lol
Flying is fun! ANd yes potato chip bags can explode at altitude. LOL

Flying is fun! ANd yes potato chip bags can explode at altitude. LOL
I was eating potato chips before we took off so glad the bag was open but the water bottle was not and had to wait for a drink till we stopped for fuel.

View attachment 1715398315 View attachment 1715398316 View attachment 1715398317 View attachment 1715398324 View attachment 1715398325 Gonna drink a nice gin and tonic tonight. My son has this small 2 passenger plane and Sunday we flew from Minot North Dakota to Kalispell Montana 1400 mile round trip ate lunch with a good friend and came back home the same day. The exploded plastic is a sandwich we bought at the local gas station for breakfast and at 12,000 feet it gets bigger.
Very nice Fred, looks like a fun time!

-
Back