Stopping wipers

-

wheelsport

Reaction score
The wipers on my '65 Barracuda will stop after running for several minutes. I know the switch has a circuit breaker. I had the s/w out of the dash and in my hand with wiring still connected and ran the wipers. I don't feel a click in the s/w when the motor stops but touching the motor when it stops I feel a click. From what I can find there is no circuit breaker in the motor. At first I thought the problem might be stiff wiper linkage. I checked and lubed the linkage and it seams OK. I removed the wiper arms and ran the wipers but the motor still stopped. The motor is warm but doesn't get hot. Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of my problem?

Going from memory, 20 or more years ago;
There is a sorta complicated parking switch in there, and a resistor block screwed onto the outside. My first guess is that the resistor is balky, when hot. and second guess is the parking sw.
That is a DC motor, so it has brushes, and it has brass bushings like the heater blower motor. So after so many decades, it might require servicing.

Thanks for your reply. I had the motor apart and checked it over last year. It appeared to OK but I didn't check the windings or field.

I had the same issues with my 66’
Every thing was rebuilt and made like new and still issues. Even harness was brand new under the dash. It turned out the switch needs to be grounded. Once I properly grounded ( the paint acted like an insulator) it worked great.
I get yours may be original. So surface rust or corrosion on the switch could be the issue. And yes the circuit breaker is in the wiper switch. The circuit breaker is not replaceable.
Keep us posted.
Joe

I had the same issues with my 66’
Every thing was rebuilt and made like new and still issues. Even harness was brand new under the dash. It turned out the switch needs to be grounded. Once I properly grounded ( the paint acted like an insulator) it worked great.
I get yours may be original. So surface rust or corrosion on the switch could be the issue. And yes the circuit breaker is in the wiper switch. The circuit breaker is not replaceable.
Keep us posted.
Joe

I would suspect this or a worn motor.

Circuit breakers inside the wiper and headlight switches are simply contacts on a strip of metal that bows with heat, much like the gauge voltage limiter. You may not feel or hear it.
take the drivers side or both wipers off. Will the shaft wiggle?
Wipers on our first 67 (mid 1980s) stopped intermittently until eventually stopped for good. Test lamp says fault is in the switch. When I took it apart that strip of metal was cracked in half. I drilled a small hole in the side of the switch, routed a piece wire out of it, figured out where to patch in one of those cycling circuit breakers that look like the top of a zippo lighter on the outside of the switch. At power up that circuit breaker cycled also.
Next I removed a nut to take the pitman arm off the motor. Power on and motor runs non stop. Root fault was worn/binding wiper pivots, especially the left where all the work load is. I'll add here that I was working as used car mechanic for Ford dealership at that time. I had noticed those other brands have wiper mechanisms outside the cabin. I wasn't happy with Chryslers noisy wiper mechanisms inside the cabin but... I had never owned a new one either. Low and behold, my 67 Chrysler wipers now run smooth and quiet.
Fast forward to when our 73 Valiant started tossing the plastic linkage bushings ( meant to make them quieter ) less than 2 years after replacing. OEM bushings had lasted 25 years so I pretty much knew where the problem was.
I didn't completely rebuild those pivots since that old beater had one wheel in the grave anyway. Knowing what I had found inside those first pivots, I simply marked them, then dropped them to apply reseal kits and grease and reinstalled rotated 180 degrees ( puts a less worn bushing wall to the worn spot in the shaft. Its a one sided wear pattern). Wipers ran quieter and I didn't have to replace those bushing again before she died a few years later.
The 67 B'cuda I have today... I bought it from the original owner and drove it home from Seattle WA. It had seen its share of rain, and sure enough, noisy wipers. So while I had that windshield and dash out of it, I rebuilt those wipers pivots also.
Thats all I know.
A test lamp will show you where power is and isn't when the wipers stop. You might discover that the wiper motor has a thermal protector inside it. Good luck

The wiper transmissions have no woble and appear to be free and move OK. The linkage joints appear to in good condition too. However it woudn't hurt to pull the transmissions give them good exam. The wipers don't park on their own.

If they dont park anytime, The park switch may be the problem. At one time I knew how that switch worked. I know it should have continuity though it at all times but forget which wire is hot and which is ground. Does the switch take ground path away from one of them at off position? Someone else here knows I'm sure. Good luck with it.

If they dont park anytime, The park switch may be the problem. At one time I knew how that switch worked. I know it should have continuity though it at all times but forget which wire is hot and which is ground. Does the switch take ground path away from one of them at off position? Someone else here knows I'm sure. Good luck with it.
Switch needs a proper ground to work correctly.

-
Back